Incredible video of a rescue

Wow! It takes a special kind of person to go into the water looking for bodies not knowing what's down there. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, man. Do you think that diver peed a little bit when he was grabbed?

OK - on a more serious note:

I'm not a diver, so I really don't know how this works - would he have any more decompression risks than the divers?

Required decompression time increases with the amount of time spent at depth. (Up until the point you are completely Nitrogen saturated) then it remains constant.

He would have a long required decompression time, but if the divers were saturation diving, they would as well.

Dan

"The cook always survives". That made me laugh.

Amazing rescue. Very sad about the other eleven.

What amazes me is how the helmet can work just with a collar.

I suppose since it's under pressure there's no chance that water can leak in.

That wouldn't work with a spacesuit. ;)

Last edited:
Amazing. Apparently he was 100 feet down for 60 hours. He decompressed for 60 in the diving bell the divers used before resurfacing. I can't imagine.

But how amazing that a recovery turned into a rescue. How often does that happen?

I have watched the video another 2 times and it has the same effect on me still..

When the controller and diver are shocked by the sight of the hand and reacts that oh ok you just found a body and that changes in an instant to he's alive, unbelievable!

And I really like the way the controller guy is able to calm and reassure the diver and the cook I can see how the cook could flip out at any minute.

I just watched a "Great Ships" episode on the Smithsonian channel that profiled a ship that supports saturation diving. They were doing maintenance on some underwater drilling hardware where they were replacing hundreds of bolts in various bits of equipment to fight the effects of corrosion.

These guys go under pressure and the helium/oxygen mixture while still in the ship. Then the bell is sent down 400+ feet, they work a 6 hour shift with hot water circulating thru the suits while they futz around with bolts that remind me of that 4th bolt on a Lycoming vacuum pump.

They return to the ship but remain in pressurized vessels while they eat, sleep and eliminate. Then return to the bell for another 6 hour shift. If the North Sea weather gets rough (imagine that) the ship my have to dock for a day or two but of course the divers stay pressurized while doing nothing but eat, sleep and read.

When they are done, it takes something like 5 days to decompress. These are the worst days because the work is done, the ship is at port and everyone else is free to leave. They still sound like Micky Mouse because they are still breathing the heli-ox!

It's like being in some kind of extreme prison with good food and pay. A high tech, amazingly mundane enterprise. It's a fascinating world we live in.

That's very cool. Trying to imagine being that guy in the pitch black, found an air pocket, doesn't want to die, but has no reasonable expectation that rescue of any sort is coming. Then a diver shows up with a diving light. Another day or two and he'd have probably have succumbed to thirst and started drinking the seawater, no matter how bad he knew it was, and that's an awful way to die. Not that drowning would be much better, but it's over with a lot faster.

That's very cool. Trying to imagine being that guy in the pitch black, found an air pocket, doesn't want to die, but has no reasonable expectation that rescue of any sort is coming. Then a diver shows up with a diving light. Another day or two and he'd have probably have succumbed to thirst and started drinking the seawater, no matter how bad he knew it was, and that's an awful way to die. Not that drowning would be much better, but it's over with a lot faster.

You have to think that happens in a lot of sinkings.

Back