Incredible 240 mile Paraglider flight

He says he climbed to 17,000 ft. How are we supposed to avoid these guys? I imagine it is harder to see them than another airplane.

Can controllers pick them up on radar?

Last edited:
look out the window would be a good start for collision avoidance. he was flying VFR in Class E airspace.

Paraglider has much larger frontal area than an airplane I would think. Probably easier to see than a small plane or sailplane.

Yup look out the window. Remember despite all the tv traffic gimmickery there will be always be stuff out there not on the tube. Heck some of the stuff is made out of rock...

look out the window would be a good start for collision avoidance. he was flying VFR in Class E airspace.

Paraglider has much larger frontal area than an airplane I would think. Probably easier to see than a small plane or sailplane.
Usually very brightly colored, and multicolored, too. also very, very slow, which helps.
I've never actually expected to see one, but when I'm scanning I think of much smaller things, like birds and clusters of balloons, etc. Eyes outside!! It takes very little effort.
The mind boggles at soaring so far with just a glorified parachute... must be exhilarating!

his description of the joy of soaring really hit home for me. the thrill of man vs. mother nature and trying to go as far as you possibly can transcend your preference of soaring craft.

I was the chase crew for the first FAI recognized world distance record in hang gliding...61 miles from Sandia Peak to Espanola. But that was 1977. :D

Doesn't seem like much today. :lol:

cloud suck is your friend, until it isn't!

i suppose you could...

in most sailplanes you could deploy all drag devices and be relatively assured of not exceeding redline, unless things got really wild.

Usually very brightly colored, and multicolored, too. also very, very slow, which helps.
I've never actually expected to see one, but when I'm scanning I think of much smaller things, like birds and clusters of balloons, etc. Eyes outside!! It takes very little effort.
The mind boggles at soaring so far with just a glorified parachute... must be exhilarating!

I've seen a party balloon, so I doubt I'd have too much trouble seeing a giant bright colored canopy.

Back