Increasing hangar space utilization

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I wonder if this idea could be adapted to storing aircraft in hangars with high ceilings.

F2184376.jpg

It doesn't work even for cars when the top one is a rusted out POS that drops its muffler on the expensive "compensation" below.

There are similar contraptions for small aircraft. Don't know how well they work, tho. Haven't seen them advertised for years.

One option is fly Remos and fold the wings up when storing in the hangar. Only requires two huge safety pins.

For a Remos, I'd dispense with the hangar and just get a trailer :)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 40
I know a guy who has his RV hoisted above his extra in his hangar.
I will take a photo when I get back out there.

One of my hangar neighbors has some sort of contraption on the ceiling that holds an airplane. I'm not sure how often the top airplane gets flown though.

Airplane lifts have been around for a while, and I know of at least one at 1K1 in a nice, big hangar. It is a good problem to have! The living quarters in that hangar are 2 or 3 stories (can't remember now) and there is an interior balcony/walkway that looks out over the fleet, except for the 172 lifted up to eye level.

Being the shade tree mechanic farmer boy that I am, I see the pictures of the lift on the truss wall of the hangar and think why couldn't a man fashion one that doubles as a car/truck lift?

Then you'd have something I'd break my neck to get in my farm/slash/workshop/slash/hangar.:yes:

They use that system at Executive, DXR. They have multiple lifts. Leaking oil is occasionally a problem.

Here ya go.
I took this at KGLE this morning

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 113
I think I'd want a rent discount to be in the lower bunk, beneath all the falling/leaking stuff.
Wait, I'd want a discount to be in the upper one; I bet you can't roll out and be off in 5 minutes.

Same guy owns both planes. He created his own discount by not having to get a 2nd hangar. :)

My mechanic hung our Ercoupe from the ceiling of his hangar using an engine hoist during the Great Flood of 2008.

It looked just like the Hallmark Christmas ornament. :)

Back