incorrectly ID'ed on FlightRadar

Adventure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adventure
Where do services like FlightAware and FlightRadar24 get their aircraft info? I recently walked into some FBO water cooler questions because they thought a twin was coming in when instead I'm flying a PA28. FlightAware has it right and even updated the registration info within the last few days. FlightRadar24 has me listed as a PA-32 (Twin Seneca?).

I have a Garmin GTX330ES for ADSB-out. Is the aircraft info pushed out as part of the ADSB data and if so I should be correcting it in there somehow? Or does ADSB only send out the call sign and those services cross check a database or something? First-world problems to be sure, just curious...

Your ADS-B Out sends a hex code that is specific to your airplane. If you go to the faa aircraft registry it will show your hex code. The easiest way to check is to submit a PAPR. Google PAPR, fill it out online and get results in a few minutes. If it shows your correct N number and aircraft, FlightAware has made an error. If info comes back incorrect, be sure to correct the hex code is being transmitted from your transponder.

The problem is likely with FR24, not your equipment. What ever is programmed in the transponder as your callsign is transmitted as part of the ADS-B messages. The callsign is normally your N-number; in the GTX330 that is displayed as FLIGHT ID and can be viewed by cycling the FUNC button. You can also request a PAPR which will independently verify the tail number and flight ID transmitted.

FR24 always showed my citabria as a heavy jet. My Hex code was correct

FR24 is full of errors and I stopped using it and didn't renew my subscription. I would email support when I came across an error and initially they were responsive. Then they stopped responding so I uninstalled the app...

PA 32 is a Cherokee Six/ Lance/etc. The Seneca is a PA 34. So it had you as a single, just one a bit larger. :)

PA 32 is a Cherokee Six/ Lance/etc. The Seneca is a PA 34. So it had you as a single, just one a bit larger. :)
@Cricket1, I got my even numbers mixed up and it shows me as a 34.

Still curious where they get it from, but fortunately I really have zero need to know the answer.

Once flying a C-421 ATC was pointing me out to other traffic as a KA-90.

What an insult...

Back