Incorrect IR written answer?

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is flat-out wrong.

"You have been cleared to an IAF, and prior to arriving at it, you lose two-way radio communications. The latest ATIS you heard said to expect the ILS approach to runway X. What procedure should you follow?"

That is the question (paraphrased obviously). No other information is given, nothing about an ETA, EFC, etc. So what are your answers?

Proceed to the fix and hold until your flight planned arrival time then shoot the approach.

Get out your handheld you bought for just such an occasion, and connect it to the external antenna you had installed for just such an occasion.

If the battery is dead, even though you checked it for just such an occasion... get out the backup battery you have for just such an occasion.

If all of that fails, see post #2, that you asked about and learned for just such an occasion. ;)

Here is the exact quote:

"You have been cleared to IAF with (airport) as your destination"

That's the exact quote. The rest is the same. So my reading of that is that you are cleared to the IAF and NOT to the airport. Does anyone read it differently? If you were cleared the airport it would say so, i.e. "you have been cleared to (IAF) and for the approach to XYZ" or something like that.

So what are the choices? I'm too lazy to go look it up in Sheppard Air.

During my studying of the 1150 questions sheppard has on the IRA test bank, I don't remember the one you are asking about to be tricky.

NOT the only one, trust me.
If I had a dime for every wrong FAA question/answer I find, I'd be a 50cent-aire. :)
Don't sweat it. If you know the right answer, that's great. Now find out which one the FAA wants you to choose and click that on your "written/clicken" test.
Good luck.

Proceed to the fix and hold until your flight planned arrival time then shoot the approach.

That is the correct book answer. Real world, it is safer to go ahead and shoot the approach immediately. There have been numerous threads on this topic before. ATC can see you, and would prefer to get you on the ground than have you tie up the airspace not knowing your full intentions.

Squawk lost comms, fly the "expected" ILS, or if you can't do the ILS, pick another approach and fly it. I wouldn't hold, especially if the time variance wasn't much.

Real world? Go to the fix, and then fly the approach that they are using. Hell do the entire procedure if it make it obvious to the guy watching the radar.

Test questions? This is why you study, some of them are just wrong or poorly written. How many test writers do you believe that the FAA has hired?

"You have been cleared to an IAF, and prior to arriving at it, you lose two-way radio communications. The latest ATIS you heard said to expect the ILS approach to runway X. What procedure should you follow?"

That is the question (paraphrased obviously). No other information is given, nothing about an ETA, EFC, etc. So what are your answers?

Is the IAF that is your Clearance Limit an IAF for the ‘ILS approach to runway x’?

Here is the exact quote:

"You have been cleared to IAF with (airport) as your destination"

That's the exact quote. The rest is the same. So my reading of that is that you are cleared to the IAF and NOT to the airport. Does anyone read it differently? If you were cleared the airport it would say so, i.e. "you have been cleared to (IAF) and for the approach to XYZ" or something like that.

You can only have one Clearance Limit at a time. If you are ‘cleared TO’ then what follows is your Clearance Limit. Don’t confuse being ‘cleared direct’ to a fix with being ‘cleared to’ a fix.

Back