Incident near KGJT

Dennis McKim

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dennis McKim
Per the local newspaper's online app:
UPDATE 1:45 p.m.: According to scanner traffic, the plane is a small military jet with one soul on board. The alleged L39 jet plane is at 16,000 feet and burning off fuel, according to scanner reports, and has wing damage. 12:55 p.m.: The exit along Interstate 70 in De Beque Canyon that connects Colorado Hwy 65 is closed, and at least one lane of the interstate is shut down, on a report of debris from a plane striking a number of vehicles in the roadway. Radio traffic indicates that a low-flying plane may have clipped a power line in the area. Emergency crews are working to free a wire from the roadway, and numerous vehicles have stopped and reported damage, according to initial reports from the scene. Earlier radio calls indicated that debris from a plane is what the caused the vehicles to stop. Witnesses at the scene report no plane down in the area, but an effort has been launched to sweep the area from the air. Most of the activity is near mile marker 49 along I-70, according to dispatch reports.

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. When I read the online story I brought up LiveATC but heard no mention of anything unusual. Glad that was an indication that everything was completed.

Just follow up, again from The Daily Sentinel app:
UPDATE 1:49 p.m.: Pilot has landed plane safely at Grand Junction Regional Airport.
UPDATE 2 p.m. A small military jet allegedly made contact with an overhead power line near the intersection of I-70 and Colorado Highway 65, causing the line to snap, fall and break the windshields of several cars and a semitrailer traveling on I-70, according to Colorado State Patrol. The break in the line apparently caused the power to go out around 1 p.m. for about 30 people who live off Canal Road about 1 mile west of Cameo. Xcel energy is at the scene making repairs. Xcel energy estimates power will be restored shortly after 3 p.m.

Glad the plane is down safely....

Sounds like a buzz job went bad....:dunno::dunno::redface:

Sounds like a buzz job went bad....:dunno::dunno::redface:
Yeah... I don't pretend to know the details of the regular "visits" we get of military aircraft here in Grand Junction. I've been told, and believe it is true, that they are cross-country training flights from the Air Force Academy at CoSprings (~ 180 nm from here, over the top of the Rockies). They very often arrive in pairs, land at GJT, and leave headed back east a short time later.
I hope this doesn't represent a career-ending stunt by a young military pilot.

Sounds like he got behind the airplane,or his depth perception is off.glad it turned out OK.

Yeah... I don't pretend to know the details of the regular "visits" we get of military aircraft here in Grand Junction. I've been told, and believe it is true, that they are cross-country training flights from the Air Force Academy at CoSprings (~ 180 nm from here, over the top of the Rockies). They very often arrive in pairs, land at GJT, and leave headed back east a short time later.

I didn't play the links ,,,, But I "thought" all L-39's were privately owned and NOT used for U.S military training...:dunno::dunno:

Ah, I had not considered that --- that it was a "military-style aircraft" as described by the local news, but not a military flight.

The zoomies fly Cirrus, and the folks at KPUB (usaf ipt) fly DA40s, IIRC

The power line hit a tractor trailer and he then hit a car. Car was pretty hammered.

If that was a buzz job, that L-39 driver is going to be in pretty hot water.

The power line hit a tractor trailer and he then hit a car. Car was pretty hammered.

If that was a buzz job, that L-39 driver is going to be in pretty hot water.

Be interesting to see the damage to the plane....:idea:

Back