Incident in CO

Looks like it "was" a nice plane before if "came from together" Hopefully Insurance will cover as to the pilot quickly admitted error

Not clear in any of the reports so far if he was landing or taking off?

Regardless, why would he be "adjusting fuel"? Run-up on taxi?

I think he must have been texting while taxiing :p

Last edited:
There's a red staggerwing like that based at KAPA. Wonder if it's the same one? What an extreme bummer.

It was in Colorado. He was probably adjusting/leaning the mixture for the DA.

It was in Colorado. He was probably adjusting/leaning the mixture for the DA.
Probably not, since it's a supercharged engine that makes full power above 5000 ft.

Pretty sure I know who this is...he's had the airplane quite a while.

Probably not, since it's a supercharged engine that makes full power above 5000 ft.

Pretty sure I know who this is...he's had the airplane quite a while.
Supercharged engines lose MP with increased altitude too. I have two of the same engine (R-985s) on my Twin Beech.

Can you even do that kind of damage while taxiing?

I could see that in the landing roll-out, while still at high speed.

Can you even do that kind of damage while taxiing?

I could see that in the landing roll-out, while still at high speed.

The gear appears to have collapsed (as opposed to a gear up landing gone wrong) so he probably wasn't moving really slowly.

Sad another classic ,lost due to pilot error.

It'll be rebuilt...that's just a couple of wings, some sheet metal work, a little welding/heat treating, an engine, and a prop.

"The pilot told Brighton Fire the aircraft is worth $500,000."

Not any more...

Clearly the pilot was misquoted. He actually said the aircraft will cost $500,000

[Personally I feel guilty we are taking it out on him now. If something like that ever happens to me I sure hope no one ever posts a pic of it on this forum :eek: ]

If you were implying that I was "taking it out on the pilot", you misread my post.

If you were implying that I was "taking it out on the pilot", you misread my post.

No, not your post, but our collective tendency to crack jokes (and most of them are pretty funny) about other's misfortunes whenever a prang like this occurs. And I include myself as equally guilty.

Sad. Of all the classic planes, I really love the stagger wing.

Sad. Of all the classic planes, I really love the stagger wing.

In a perverse way maybe that's a blessing. If the exact same thing happened to a '40s vintage Bo it would probably be a permanent loss except for parts salvage. Being a beloved Staggerwing it's almost certain to be carefully rebuilt by somebody to fly again.

A long time favorite airplane of mine. If its sad for me I can only imagine what the owner is going through right now.....

So sad to see a classic antique like that all tore up. Looks like the aftermath of a groundloop.

Was that out at Van Aire (CO12)? I'm just guessing based on the Brighton Fire guys in the photo.

Must not have loaded properly on my phone... All I saw was the picture. That, or I'm just extra simple today.
The joys of the web... Ha.

"BRIGHTON - A small plane skidded off the runway at Van Aire Skyport in Brighton after the pilot took his eyes off the runway,. reports say.
The pilot told Brighton Fire he looked down to adjust the fuel.
Luckily, no one was injured.
The pilot was the only person on board."

Back