Incident at Alton NH Ice runway

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
No one seriously hurt, sounds like it got into the soft edges and flipped over to wrong side up.

http://www.nh1.com/news/crews-on-scene-in-alton-bay-after-plane-flips-over-on-ice-runway/

Edit: And the carnage, credit photo, "slickcraft" on Winnipesaukee.com forum

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=274571#poststop

attachment.php

Last edited:
Temps look a little high ,not good flying in slushee water. The ice runway can be challenging if the wind is up.

I don't see any damage to the rear fuselage nor the empenage. Lucky man. Also looks like he has the nose gear leg stiffener judging by where the nose gear bent. That airplane will fly again. Feel sorry for the guy. No paint one can assume it's a recent completion.

Paint takes away from the useful load. At least that is what a friend of mine keeps telling me on why he doesn't paint his C-170.....:lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, looks like a little more weekend work is in the future.....sheet metal can be fixed, really glad there were no serious injuries....

I'm 98% sure it is an rv-7a or a -9a. Wish I could read the N number, but it isn't the contrasting color mandated by the reg's.

Went flying over there again today. Yesterday was the day to be there, not today. Temps were too warm, ice is solid but from reports had a ton of water on it. Ice with water on it? Yeah, I'll pass. Winds weren't bad, slick conditions were the problem. They were reporting the runway as closed because of the water on it. Didn't hear about the accident.

I'm 98% sure it is an rv-7a or a -9a. Wish I could read the N number, but it isn't the contrasting color mandated by the reg's.

I think you're right. The nosewheel design looks like the one from an RV. It's definitely different from the standard design from CH 601 or 650.

This may be a first. I've never heard of a RV flipping over on takeoff per the video. Most occur landing. Then again, most folks don't take off from ice/slush.

Looks like a 7A.

I think he got off of the runway and got the gear and maybe a wingtip into the deeper stuff along the runway.

Seeing it upright, it's definitely an RV.

N321RC. Does not appear to be a recent RV-9A build. We have a castering nose wheel. With more power than needed and a big rudder, once over 20 mph, directional control should not be an issue, especially with less than 25 kt xw. I guess that is one advantage of holding off on painting. Glad there were no injuries.

I was there. Absolutely an RV7a/9a.

Water on that side of the runway was ankle-deep. Wind right down runway.

I won't go into speculation, but in my castering-nosewheel equipped plane, the takeoff was a non-event.

I was there, too. Departed in a 172 about 45 minutes later. It was the second straight day of mild temps (in the 40s F) and getting seriously slushy, as the video shows nicely. Another factor was increasingly gusty winds in the afternoon - takeoff for me was into a lot of mechanical turbulence spilling over the mountain that looms over Alton Bay to the west. B18 now is closed for the season, but I'm looking forward to a return visit next winter.

Back