Inaugural EAA Sport Pilot Academy, begins tomorrow.

TenSeven

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi everyone.

25 years ago I was a Student Pilot working towards my PPL. Unfortunately, my training came to a close before I earned my ticket. The major factor that led to me quitting was a long, drawn out, training schedule that lasted well over a year. My instructor and I could not keep a consistently jiving schedule. Sometimes I flew once a month, and a chunk of that time would often be spent going back over the stuff from last months single flight. I began to dread the long long and lonely drive to the Airport. Instead of getting a different instructor, like I should have (my instructor was a friend of mine), I trudged on way too long, became frustrated, and quit. Still a bummer for me to think about and I vowed not if, but when, I pursued a Pilots License again, it would be under completely different circumstances.

Fast forward 25 years, I still love Aviation. I'm the guy looking up at the plane in the distance when someone is trying to have a conversation with me. My wife and I have spent the entire week at Osh enough times that it has become an 'family event' for relatives to come together. The EAA grounds are like home to me and AirVenture is my favorite playground (my usual m.o. is to leave at 6am and return in time for dinner, my wife happily hangs out with her relatives). I've been itching to homebuild an LSA for years.

Anyhoo, for me, the Stars have aligned. I just caught wind of the new EAA Sport Pilot Academy. Not only is it the perfect license for the type of flying I want to do, for the type of aircraft I want to build, but it's also located at my favorite place to be. Three weeks of eating, sleeping and breathing Aviation with a group of like minded individuals and at the end of it you've earned your basic Sport ticket.

Check out EAA dot org, Sport Pilot Academy (new guy, can't post any links yet)

On other website articles about this Academy they say they'll be using Cessna Skycatchers and flying at least twice a day.

I learned of it too late to get into the inaugural Academy but I'm 'on the list' for a future Academy, 'assuming' of coarse this one is a success.

Which brings the reason for me posting.....

QUESTIONS - What do you experienced guys/gals really think of the EAA doing an Academy like this? Too expensive? Should be PPL based instead? Is there enough interest in Sport Pilot for future Academy's? Three weeks too quick?

Thanks

Last edited:
Never heard of it but most stuff EAA does is pretty solid. You don't have to attend any special academies or anything to earn the sport license, if you don't want to wait.

Make sure the person teaching is a CFI just in case you decide you might like to move past LSA down the road. Once you've accomplished this, do you have access to an LSA nearby so you can fly now and then while you build?

It sounds pretty good to me. I don't have anything to compare it to because I don't know the hours required or rental rates for those airplanes though. It looks like you get 3 slops and a flop included in the 10k price. You'll be immersed in flying along with others doing the same. Study together, compare notes and experiences etc. You've been waiting for this your whole life. Look at it like a 3 week vacation doing something you love and you come home with a pilots license instead of some trinket that says "I stole this thing from.............

Thanks guys.

There are definitely cheaper routes to go to get a Pilots License. I just really like where and with whom the program is taking place. In my experience, the mere mention that your considering a Sport License usually gets you an odd look at best, not exactly motivating. There are at least a couple Sport Pilot schools around that I have been contemplation going through but this new EAA program really peaked my interest.

Hopefully this new program is a success. If I have my way, I would spend three weeks on the EAA grounds attending the Academy and right afterwards stay to spend a week enjoying AirVenture as a new Pilot.

Last edited:
Go for it! It sounds like the culmination of your dreams, and if it's put on by EAA, it will be organized and well run. Getting my license the traditional way was something I'd wanted my while life, and like you, was finished in the second attempt fourteen years later.

Back