Inappropriate Use of an Airplane Hangar

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Apparently, it isn't a good idea to stockpile ammunition in a hangar in the Phoenix area...
50f971b084933cbba5e5e0c4267c97d6.jpg

What am I looking at? A blown out hangar section?

What am I looking at? A blown out hangar section?

Yes. That overhead beam used to be straight. Some dude had a lot of ammo in his hangar at FFZ and it went cablooey. Damaged other airplanes in adjacent hangars in the process.

Well, good thing nobody was parked in front of it! Proof signs work!!

Yes. That overhead beam used to be straight. Some dude had a lot of ammo in his hangar at FFZ and it went cablooey. Damaged other airplanes in adjacent hangars in the process.

Hmmm, burning ammo goes "pop" and then nothing except the heat and gas which evolved along with the "pop". Something else was involved here...

Hmmm, burning ammo goes "pop" and then nothing except the heat and gas which evolved along with the "pop". Something else was involved here...

You're probably right. Whatever was in there apparently sent projectiles/shrapnel into several adjacent hangars in the row damaging multiple aircraft.

I seriously doubt the ammo just ignited itself and they all went pop and it blew the hangar door.

I'd put my money on a whole bunch of gunpowder or something really explosive that was easily ignited.

It'd take a hell of a fire to just ignite loaded ammo...and that fire would have done a lot more damage.

Back in my younger days, at the farm party campfires, it was common practice for someone to throw a brick of .22LR in the fire (back when 22LR was cheap). They'd try to do it when nobody was looking then once the pops start people ran like hell and dove for cover. Those that knew the trick just turned their back to the fire to prevent the unlikely scenario something would hit them in the eye.

Looks like a couple 10# cans of nitro express got set off. saw a friend loose his house this way.

I'd put my money on a whole bunch of gunpowder or something really explosive that was easily ignited.

Agree with the "something really explosive" like a propane tank that cooked off or similar volatile liquid. Smokeless gun powder in consumer bulk quantities does nothing major. As Tom points out, black-powder is a different story...

On a side note, propane can be okay in a fire as long as a relief valve is working (seen it happen). If there is no relief valve then it's a different story and I have seen the results of that happening.

My money is on a BLIVE or an accelerant or both involved in that besides the ammo.

Ah rats. I read inappropriate use of a hanger and was expecting at least whips and chains. This is just an explosion.

My money is on a BLIVE or an accelerant or both involved in that besides the ammo.

That would be a BLEVE :wink2:
Officially the abbreviation for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. AKA big leveling explosion vaporizing everything.

Often takes place in an IDLH atmosphere (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health). Also known as I Don't Live Here. :yes:

Insurance on the plane parked inside, yes.

I'm not required to carry liability insurance on anything else.
Liability insurance does not cover your plane -- it covers everything else, including the other planes destroyed if you cause damage to them.

Now you know why many airports require all hangar tenants to carry liability insurance.

Here no, the port commission adds a fee to our rent each month for a group policy for the renters. it's like $6,00

Here no, the port commission adds a fee to our rent each month for a group policy for the renters. it's like $6,00

Isn't that the same thing Ron said? Unless the $6 is optional.

That would be a BLEVE :wink2:
Officially the abbreviation for Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. AKA big leveling explosion vaporizing everything.

Often takes place in an IDLH atmosphere (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health). Also known as I Don't Live Here. :yes:

Heh. Yeah. I just hang around firefighters and talk to them. I don't want to be one. ;)

Back