in transit posts

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I read all the messages then about 5-10 minutes later I mark read via the quick links drop-down.

Ive remember the problem of..... during the 5-10 minutes, several people will post and you might miss them...... and go on to mark read without noticing the posts.

Any tricks to avoid this problem on POA? Is there a thread/FAQ covering this?
Thanks

Let'sgoflying! said:
I read all the messages then about 5-10 minutes later I mark read via the quick links drop-down.

Ive remember the problem of..... during the 5-10 minutes, several people will post and you might miss them...... and go on to mark read without noticing the posts.

Any tricks to avoid this problem on POA? Is there a thread/FAQ covering this?
Thanks

I go back and forth from New Posts to the threads until they are all read. Then I do a quick refresh just to be sure before I mark all read.

Carol said:
I go back and forth from New Posts to the threads until they are all read. Then I do a quick refresh just to be sure before I mark all read.
I simply keep hitting the "New Posts" link at the top or bottom of the thread pages. If someone else posted in the thread, it moves to the top of the New Posts and becomes bold. If I've already seen it, the link is no longer bold.

I don't keep using the back button since it doesn't refresh the New Posts search.

Brian Austin said:
I simply keep hitting the "New Posts" link at the top or bottom of the thread pages. If someone else posted in the thread, it moves to the top of the New Posts and becomes bold. If I've already seen it, the link is no longer bold.

I don't keep using the back button since it doesn't refresh the New Posts search.

Umm, well, you described more clearly what I do. Thanks.

Brian Austin said:
I simply keep hitting the "New Posts" link at the top or bottom of the thread pages.

Note that the software appears to prohibit a person from doing a second "search" ("search" must be how the New Post command button works) within 6 seconds.

I've been getting an initial New Post listing...I then open each thread in a new window...I scan down the list of posts in the thread looking for new responses (different color from old/read posts) which I then open responses I'm in which I'm interested in another new window. After I've read the entire list of New Posts I do a refresh to determine if any in transit posts arrived while I was busy reading.

I have noted one thing...it appears that if you keep the New Post list up for awhile they get marked as read almost like the application assumes you have read them because they have been sitting there for so long (it actually must be some kind of time out) and if you refresh you will loose them.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I scan down the list of posts in the thread looking for new responses (different color from old/read posts) which I then open responses I'm in which I'm interested in another new window.
Hit the link at the top of the thread that says "View First Unread". It will jump down to the first post you haven't seen. Faster than doing all that scrolling, especially in multiple pages.

Len Lanetti said:
I have noted one thing...it appears that if you keep the New Post list up for awhile they get marked as read almost like the application assumes you have read them because they have been sitting there for so long (it actually must be some kind of time out) and if you refresh you will loose them.

Len
You are actually starting multiple sessions by spawning separate windows. Each session is timed on its own. Opening in the same window and going back to the new posts by hitting the "New Posts" link would avoid the timeout you're seeing.

Len Lanetti said:

Len

If you change over to viewing the Forums page instead of the New Posts listing and walk away for >15 min does it still "mark all read"?

Brian: I believe you're mistaken. Opening a new thread in another window is still activity against your user id. The timer is reset and I'm pretty sure you get another 15 minutes at that point.

Carol said:
If you change over to viewing the Forums page instead of the New Posts listing and walk away for >15 min does it still "mark all read"?
Yes. Your 'Last Visited' info is what determines what posts are new and what posts are not.

When you arrive here after being away, say you were last here at 6pm yesterday, you have three variables in play.
Last Visited (L): 3/2/2005 6:00 pm
Next Last Visited (N): 3/2/2005 6:00 pm
Timer (T): 0:00.00

When you log in, say it's 10:30 am, N is set to the time your click reaches the server, and T is set to 15:00.00 (15 minutes) and begins counting down when you arrive here. Say you click "New Posts" at 10:30 am
L: 3/2/2005 6:00 pm
N: 3/3/2005 10:30 am
T: 15:00.00 and falling

You decide to read a thread 1 minute later...
N: 3/3/2005 10:31 am

5 minutes later you click the BACK button:
N: 3/3/2005 10:31 am
T: 10:00.00 and falling
Why is T at 10:00? Because you haven't clicked anything new - you have not asked the server for anything. You've just gone back to the previously cached page in your browser - the list of new posts.

2 minutes later you click on another thread:
N: 3/3/2005 10:38 am
N is now 10:38 - 10:31 you clicked on a thread, you read it for 5 minutes (10:36)and went back (no server hit) and 2 minutes later you clicked a different thread (server hit) Timer reset.

Now instead of hitting Back you click New Posts. You get the list of new posts since 3/2/2005 6:00 PM including all new transient posts.

The key to not losing your list of new posts is to send a request to the server within 15 minutes of the last request to the server. Back buttons don't send requests to the sever. New Post reads and Thread reads (or any other link) send requests to the server.

Once you click a link and then sit still (as far as the server is concerned), for 15 minutes, the timer runs out, and this happens (say your last thread read was at 10:52 am:
L: 3/3/2005 10:52 am
N: 3/3/2005 10:52 am
T: 0:00.00 and falling

From this point forward, if you hit "New Posts", you'll be given the posts written after L, which is now 10:52 am today.

The key is, once you visit PoA, you must keep resetting the timer with a server hit before it runs out.

Here's what I recommend:
  • Open the new post list in your main window.
  • Read posts one time through first without responding (replying can take a long time)
  • If you find a post you want to reply to later, open that thread in a new window
  • When you finish reading the post or if you run low on time (15 minutes...) click "New Posts" again and then re-enter the thread you were reading
  • Finish reading all new posts of interest in this manner
  • Go back to your other windows and reply, but while replying, click "New Posts" every 5-10 minutes in the main window as well, to keep your timer fresh.
  • Post reply and close extra window
  • Review "New Posts" list for any new transient threads
  • Once you catch up on your reading and replying, click "New Posts" one more time, verify no new transient threads, and then click "Mark Forums Read" under quicklinks
Do not click again until you're ready to repeat the process.

There are possibly two things we can do to help remove some of the pain involved in this in the short term:
1) Extend the 15 minute timer out to 30 minutes or longer to give you more time to read/reply before running out of time.
2) Disable the automatic marking read of posts (requires code hack)

Given the audience, I think #2 is probably the best option - allow you to mark read on your own and never do it for you...

Greebo said:
Brian: I believe you're mistaken. Opening a new thread in another window is still activity against your user id. The timer is reset and I'm pretty sure you get another 15 minutes at that point.
I'm never mistaken. I'm merely inaccurate in YOUR version of reality. :p

Brian Austin said:
I'm never mistaken. I'm merely inaccurate in YOUR version of reality. :p
My version of reality includes the source code! Excuse me a moment while I rewrite the subroutine that is you. :p :D

Greebo said:
My version of reality includes the source code! Excuse me a moment while I rewrite the subroutine that is you. :p :D
I'm a bug. Just TRY and find me. :blowkiss:

Brian Austin said:

begin
set mode=debug
loop
if id='Brian Austin' then​
kill -9;​
end if;​
end loop;​
end;

Brian Austin said:
Confucius say, 'Only fool challenge SysOp!'

Code:
 for(i=0;i<100;i++) 

{[indent]debug.writeLine("\tI will not abuse my system administrative powers no matter how much Brian Austin asks for it.\n");[/indent]} 

debug.writeLine("Aww, what the heck!");
user deadman = users.find("Brian Austin");
foreach(post in deadman.find(ALL_POSTS))

{[indent]post.text = ("I worship Greebo!\n").Repeat(100); [/indent]}

Greebo said:
Confucius say, 'Only fool challenge SysOp!' (extraneous geek code removed)
That only works if you can get to the server, silly sysadmin!

Four letters, begins with D, ends with S. :D

I'm sure I can find enough Subseven zombies out there to do it for me. ;)

Ok, we should stop this before we have to get out the yardsticks. :)

BTW, for non-geek folks watching...this is the geek equivalent of two bodybuilders flexing muscles at each other to prove who is bigger/better. ;)

See now I DELIBERATLY avoided saying "...or in your case, a micrometer"...but no you HAD to keep going didn't you!

Fine - here's one sized just right for you: :D

Greebo said:
See now I DELIBERATLY avoided saying "...or in your case, a micrometer"...but no you HAD to keep going didn't you!

Fine - here's one sized just right for you: :D
OOOOHhhhhhhh!

"Mayday, mayday. Direct hit to the engine, I'm going down!" :target:

Ya got me. I'm pulling the 'chute. :D

Back