In trail of a......

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
Cessna 182? Well today was a first for me coming back through the NY metro on V16 towards Kennedy. Beautiful day, airplanes running like a top and things could not be going better when ATC asks me ......ah, 2MB...what's your airspeed? Well, I'm right at the top of the green at 160 knots so I says.......160 knots. Then he says turn right, fly heading 300 and slow to 140 till advised for in trail spacing. I get that sort of clearance all the time in the King Air but this is a first. Okay, I'm curious now so I key up....hey, NY what am I in trail of? He comes back with....a Cessna 182 on the route to ACY and you are much faster. Well, no kiddin' I say, the Mooney is built for speed....can I climb, Sir? Nope...opposite direction traffic. Well....how bout a descent then? Nope...LGA arrivals, sorry. Well, anyway despite the vector and the sloooooooow down we still made the trip from up North in way better than usual with the really sporty tailwind. The really cool thing was to look back at the trip on flightaware because sure enough, the vector to the Northwest was depicted. I don't know if I like that website or not but it is interesting.

Count your blessings. I spent ~100 nm IFR in trail behind a Super Cub going into OSH last year. Near as I could tell the Super Cub pilot wasn't going to any extra measures to maintain a decent cruise speed. What one phrase does a Mooney pilot never want to hear? "State your minimum practical airspeed."

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
What one phrase does a Mooney pilot never want to hear? "State your minimum practical airspeed."

About 160 KTAS, right? :)

Ok, so we can do 133 knots in cruise and it ain't enough for ya? Maybe you guys can lobby for an express lane.

Ed, what kind of Super Cub is equipped for IFR? :rolleyes:

Ed Guthrie said:
Count your blessings. I spent ~100 nm IFR in trail behind a Super Cub going into OSH last year. Near as I could tell the Super Cub pilot wasn't going to any extra measures to maintain a decent cruise speed. What one phrase does a Mooney pilot never want to hear? "State your minimum practical airspeed."

You had to follow a 100 Kt Cub for 100 nm? Sheesh, you'd think they might vector you around or over.

What is the approach speed of a typical mooney? I tried, but could not safely stay behind one going to a fly-in once, and had to go around. I had it all out, S-turning, min apprch speed, but there was no way I could stay behind him.
(cruise might be different!)

I hope no one gets the impression that my "rant" was as a result of the ole fast plane/slow plane, high wing/low wing, conservative/liberal thing. Not my intention at all...in fact I'll go as far as to say that I'm sorry if I offended or otherwise damaged anyone flying an airplane less capable of speed in a horizontal plane than lets say, a Mooney. My issue was more of an expose of ATC causing the indignity that I suffered in the skies over New York. They made me descend....then they made me turn....and then the made me slow down. I feel violated. Other than that....great service by the New York TRACON folks as usual! :)

I don't think anyone's taken offense. It's not like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge debates you find in highschool. :)

Fast n' Furious said:
I hope no one gets the impression that my "rant" was as a result of the ole fast plane/slow plane, high wing/low wing, conservative/liberal thing. Not my intention at all...in fact I'll go as far as to say that I'm sorry if I offended or otherwise damaged anyone flying an airplane less capable of speed in a horizontal plane than lets say, a Mooney. My issue was more of an expose of ATC causing the indignity that I suffered in the skies over New York. They made me descend....then they made me turn....and then the made me slow down. I feel violated. Other than that....great service by the New York TRACON folks as usual! :)
Always starting trouble, Gezzz...... Be glad you wern't behind my Musketeer :hairraise:

Don't you boys know any nice songs??????

The problem with getting married is that all of a sudden, you are sleeping with a relative.

Fast n' Furious said:
Well, I'm right at the top of the green at 160 knots so I says.......160 knots.
160 knots? Is that the best you can do? :D

Okay, I'm going to respond to everyone who has chimed in on this thread since my near apology.

I flew for a NASCAR team. The fights we had over Chevy/Ford/Pontiac would dwarf ANYTHING a bunch of pilots could do about where their airplane's wings are.

Nice songs? No us boys don't know any nice songs. In the rectory basement or in the tour bus. What a great album though huh E?

160? Yup....that's it. The budget cannot handle more. I think.

Ex commuter pilot too. The barberpole is not a limitation it's a goal but not if you're being paid for flight time.

So again, as a redneck King Air drivin', NASCAR watchin', beer swillin', skirt chasin', ATC annoyin', Mooney ownin', Challenger type rating wantin', fun lovin' American boy....I humbly almost apologize.

Fast n' Furious said:
So again, as a redneck King Air drivin', NASCAR watchin', beer swillin', skirt chasin', ATC annoyin', Mooney ownin', Challenger type rating wantin', fun lovin' American boy....I humbly almost apologize.
Darn, I thought I was the only one in New Jersey! well... except the King Air drivin and Mooney ownin part.........yet!

Eamon said:
Always starting trouble, Gezzz...... Be glad you wern't behind my Musketeer :hairraise:

Don't you boys know any nice songs??????

He used to cut my grass, he was a very nice boy!

I wonder what FZ would have had to say about the ADIZ? Dunno....he had lots of opinions about lots of things governmental. I really do miss his observations and satire about the world we live in. A true genius. B)

Fast n' Furious said:
The only thing you need to almost apologize for is item #2. Real race car drivers should know how to turn both left and right. :yes: :D

Chip

Sears Point....Watkins Glen.....they got right turns. Kinda artsy-fartsy but they's right turns. That whole open wheel fiasco is nothing but the tea and crumpet society. Heck, even Kyle Busch could kick the crap outta Michael Schumacher. Boogity, boogity, boogity...let's go racin' boys! :rolleyes:

Fast n' Furious said:
Heck, even Kyle Busch could kick the crap outta Michael Schumacher. Boogity, boogity, boogity...let's go racin' boys! :rolleyes:
Where's that bad rep button??? I know it's around here somewhere!!

Well, darn! If I knew I was going to get a bad rep noogie for that I woulda said something like Danica Patrick wears combat boots. Come to think of it.....that would probably be okay. Racin' is racin'. It's all good 'cept for that lawnmotor thing which I just can't seem to get too fired up about. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back