In the very early process of picking a plane....

helio_courier.jpg

Be different. Get a Helio Courier. :goofy:

Landing on grass? those legs look mighty spindly, but no personal experience.

182s are fine on grass.
Agree, given what the OP's got to haul, that's a sensible choice…..
There are other choices, of course, like a Cherokee 235, or pretty much anything with the right useful load. Grass is not a big deal as long as the field is maintained.

Last edited:
(IMO)

Living in Minnesota you might want to consider getting your Instrument first. With that said what about a Cessna 206? (I'm surprised nobody mentioned) It takes off on grass pretty well and it hauls a ton (1559 LBS) You can bring your dog, family and friends.

If 150k is your budget you might want to go under that a bit. Most people that start out underestimate how much owning a plane really costs and those 10-30k unexpected costs. Here is one that I though was a good one to at least investigate:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1968/Cessna/TU206C/2075595.html

Whatever you get with that budget, you can get a cream puff. Everything works, low time engine, IFR. Id get a 182! Best one I could find.

would you take a 210 into a grass strip?

You could also get a Cherokee 6/260 for a song and be able to take another couple up when you feel like it.

(IMO)

Living in Minnesota you might want to consider getting your Instrument first. With that said what about a Cessna 206? (I'm surprised nobody mentioned) It takes off on grass pretty well and it hauls a ton (1559 LBS) You can bring your dog, family and friends.

If 150k is your budget you might want to go under that a bit. Most people that start out underestimate how much owning a plane really costs and those 10-30k unexpected costs. Here is one that I though was a good one to at least investigate:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1968/Cessna/TU206C/2075595.html

Indeed, a nice 550ed U206 with the pax door, extensions and VGs, sweet machine and that rear door makes loading a breeze.

I would also agree that a Cessna 182 with fixed gear would be a good choice for your first airplane given your circumstances. It is a very good instrument platform as far as stability goes. Avionics is another matter as there are a lot of choices. I'm sure you could find one with a nice avionics package considering your budget.

What ever you decide to buy make sure you get a good pre purchase inspection performed by some one with a high degree of knowledge on the particular airplane you are planning to buy. Make sure this person has no affiliation with the seller so their loyalty is to you only. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way on my first airplane.

Best wishes on your quest to find the right airplane.

Jean

Great advice! Thanks, I have someone local that does annuals, he'll also do pre-purchase inspections so I'll for sure have him inspect anything before I buy.

Roger the 182.

I picked up a 182P this year when I had about 80 hours, PPL only. Insurance was about $1600 per year. Now, I'm about 2 hours from taking my IR checkride and all done in the 182.

I've done two trips over 900nm (one strictly VFR, which made me realize I needed my IR asap, and the other with my instructor to build instrument time). It's a fantastic plane. I picked mine up for around $80k and spent about $8k in avionics. It had a 530W and engine monitor, I added fuel flow, ADS-B GDL-88, and a FlightStream210 so I can sync with ForeFlight. I've got a plane that will reliably get me anywhere I want to go relatively fast, and usually with four people and full tanks.

As for maintenance items, just like any owner, I've had them too. Had an alternator belt fall off. Had a magneto fail. Had both my landing light and my taxi light burn out (replaced them with LED). Soon I'm going to take it to an autopilot repair shop because my altitude hold fluctuates by ~200ft. And I haven't had my first annual yet - due next month, so we'll see. But I love this plane. I'll keep it until the very day that I can afford a G1000 SR-22 - meaning me and my 182 will be very close for a long time.

Roger the 182.

I picked up a 182P this year when I had about 80 hours, PPL only. Insurance was about $1600 per year. Now, I'm about 2 hours from taking my IR checkride and all done in the 182.

I've done two trips over 900nm (one strictly VFR, which made me realize I needed my IR asap, and the other with my instructor to build instrument time). It's a fantastic plane. I picked mine up for around $80k and spent about $8k in avionics. It had a 530W and engine monitor, I added fuel flow, ADS-B GDL-88, and a FlightStream210 so I can sync with ForeFlight. I've got a plane that will reliably get me anywhere I want to go relatively fast, and usually with four people and full tanks.

As for maintenance items, just like any owner, I've had them too. Had an alternator belt fall off. Had a magneto fail. Had both my landing light and my taxi light burn out (replaced them with LED). Soon I'm going to take it to an autopilot repair shop because my altitude hold fluctuates by ~200ft. And I haven't had my first annual yet - due next month, so we'll see. But I love this plane. I'll keep it until the very day that I can afford a G1000 SR-22 - meaning me and my 182 will be very close for a long time.

Welcome!

I live on your side of Florida as well, How much does hangar space cost at your airport? from my experience around this area it's been non-existent and you are put on a waiting list.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I live on your side of Florida as well, How much does hangar space cost at your airport? from my experience around this area it's been non-existent and you are put on a waiting list.

Thanks!

Thanks! Lurking awhile and finally signed up :)

I got my plane without hangar space at KTPF - like you, I figured it wasn't available (but I knew they had community space). So when it arrived after being ferried to its new home, the airport asked me where I wanted to store it. I said community space, to which he was surprised. "You know it's more money there than in your own hangar?" I told him I didn't know they even had hangar space.

So low and behold, I've got covered hangar space for around $470/mo (182 price - varies based on footprint of aircraft), which is great because I also use it to store other stuff for a side business I have. Although personally being inside it is pointless in the summer, as you can imagine, because it's about 190 degrees Fahrenheit inside it with its metal roof and all.

I'm extremely pleased with my home base. Being a tenant also means 50 cents off per gallon - still not cheap at $5.89 minus 50 cents, but not worth it to fly out to the few "el cheapo" gas airports in the area to fill up. And their maintenance shop is top notch, and best of all, not considered the main profit center for the FBO, unlike what I've heard about a certain Pinellas airpark (heresay, I don't know the full truthiness of that).

Anyway, sorry for sidetracking the thread. The 182 is, in my opinion, the compact SUV of the skies. Fill it up with people, luggage and fuel and you're good to go. Nothing sexy, just a workhorse. The "big" SUV is, of course, the 206.

One other note: there is an STC for 182P models with 2950 MGTOW to bring it up to 3100. It's literally an $800 piece of paper (182stc.com) for 150 pounds more of useful load. I haven't bought it yet, but there is another reason to go for the 182.

Another vote from a 182 owner ('75 182P) for a 182.

You say you won't need to carry anything but my experience is you've always got something to shuttle back and forth. Need a new weed trimmer? Good luck getting that in the back of the Cirrus with the teenager and dog and everything else. A cooler of food, some leftover groceries from the weekend, whatever, you'll have room and payload.

Easy to buy, easy to insure, and of course easy to sell when you decide you want something else. It's also a great IFR platform to do your training in.

Retractables are nice if you need extra speed for a long trip, but for 200nm, you'll save 6-10 minutes. Probably not worth it.

Cessna 182, Piper Dakota or Arrow (if it will carry enough) or Beechcraft Bonanza (if it will carry enough). You might want a Cessna 206.

I've been lurking on this site a while and have enjoyed reading post from people with far more knowledge than me. So, I'm ealy in my PPL training, I have ~6 hrs of flight time in a C172. I check out a couple sites looking at used planes and have a few that I like, some affordable and some not as much, especially for a low hr pilot!

My mission 90% of the time will be; Flying VFR ~200nm, we have a cabin in northern MN and we live in southern MN (5.5 hr driving), there are 3 airports within 30 miles of our cabin, the closest being about 15 miles, all with paved runways of at least 3500'. Payload will be myself 240#, wife 120#, 16yr old son 150# and golden retriever 80#. We seldom bring any luggage, everything we need is already there. We'd leave a vehicle at the airport, we have more vehicles than drivers anyway.

Because this would be my first plane and I'll be low hrs I'd like to keep it simple; fixed gear, under 200hp, but would like it to be something I can build time in to eventually get to IFR.

Budget is flexible, I could probably do up to $150k, but would rather start at something much less and eventually upgrade to the $150k range.

The contenders, mostly planes I like or I can get into cheap (I'm usually not cheap!).

60's something Piper Commanche 180, I can get 50% share for ~$11k, free hanger at grass strip. Higher hrs, motor about timed out and outdated electronics. I hate the single door!

Socata TB-10, can find for under $50k
Socata TB-200, ~$85k
Diamond DA-40 (personal favorite but maybe more the eventual upgrade)
Cirrus SR20 (also high end and higher ins cost)
Gumman Tiger

Open to other suggestions.

p.s. because I'd usually be spending 3-5 days gone it makes renting very difficult, besides I hate spending money on something I don't own.

So what did you decide?

No decission yet. Looking at 182's now, can't say I really looked at them very closely before. I'm not in a hurry right now as I'm still early in my training. I'll keep everyone posted.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

For those recommending a 206, I almost went that was over the 182 I have now except the insurance on the 206 is crazy high until you get quite a few hours in, instrument rated, and time in type. Those extra seats were the reason provided to me. I was quoted (64 hour 1 week old pilot) over $5000 a year. The 182 was a little over $1000. Huge difference. In 5 years we will re-evaluate but it isn't as affordable until time is built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sort of a similar situation, except 2 smaller kids and a smaller dog, so our total payload is about the same.

I did my training in a 172. After my PPL I transistioned to a DA40. During my instrument I bought a share of a Cirrus SR22. When I looked at the old worn out options (Mooney, Bonanza, Pipers) and then flew the Cirrus, it was no contest. SR22 has plenty of useful load, its fast, some anit-ice capability and super comfortable.

Just try to get a ride in the options before you decide. But, be careful, you take a ride in the SR22 you might be hooked and end up spending more than you want....

I have sort of a similar situation, except 2 smaller kids and a smaller dog, so our total payload is about the same.

I did my training in a 172. After my PPL I transistioned to a DA40. During my instrument I bought a share of a Cirrus SR22. When I looked at the old worn out options (Mooney, Bonanza, Pipers) and then flew the Cirrus, it was no contest. SR22 has plenty of useful load, its fast, some anit-ice capability and super comfortable.

Just try to get a ride in the options before you decide. But, be careful, you take a ride in the SR22 you might be hooked and end up spending more than you want....

I've thought about the SR22 also. I actually talked to a friend of mine that would lease a SR22 from me for ~100 hrs a year if I decide to go that way. He owns a Cessna Mustang and a King Air but says there is a lot of times that he could use a smaller plane for short trips.

I have heard it can be very difficult for a low hr pilot to even get insured for the Cirrus, if they can it's very expensive.

I have heard it can be very difficult for a low hr pilot to even get insured for the Cirrus, if they can it's very expensive.

Get your instrument rating in it and the insurance cost comes way down. I went straight from my PPL into my instrument. Sounds like that lease with your friend might be a sweet way to go and it would help you ease into the ownership process and offset some cost.

Back