In the spirit of mindless phone junk

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
So some drone in the corporation decides to integrate voicemail with email.

Just wonderful... now I get an email (with a .wav file) everying freaking time someone leaves a voicemail.

Just what the world needs, more emails.

On top of this, because the email servers are in the cloud, the voicemail messages are far more exposed than just being on the pbx.

Not sure if you are using outlook but you could set up a rule and banish them to a separate folder or even the deleted items folder. They will never again show up in your inbox.

Not sure if you are using outlook but you could set up a rule and banish them to a separate folder or even the deleted items folder. They will never again show up in your inbox.

ah, but the catch is that if the email with the .wav file is deleted, then that particular voicemail message is gone...poof.

So some drone in the corporation decides to integrate voicemail with email.

Just wonderful... now I get an email (with a .wav file) everying freaking time someone leaves a voicemail.

Just what the world needs, more emails.

On top of this, because the email servers are in the cloud, the voicemail messages are far more exposed than just being on the pbx.

There are times when I have found it beneficial to keep a voice mail for future reference. It is better for me to have the e-mail with the wave file rather than keep it in my voice mail on our pbx. We are not storing anything in "The Cloud" so that is not a concern to me.

ah, but the catch is that if the email with the .wav file is deleted, then that particular voicemail message is gone...poof.

Well, I guess there is always a catch! I would just create a folder titled "vmail" and set up a rule to send all voicemails to that folder. At least then it won't clog up your inbox.

Good thing I don't get voicemails very often because that sounds annoying. I have yet to figure out how to turn off email notifications from my calendar... It's silly because if I'm checking my email, there's a good chance I'm on my phone which is where my calendar is and if I wanted to get notifications from it, I'd set one on the calendar! :mad2:

My biggest issue is all of the junk phone calls I get throughout the day. We upgraded out PBX a few years ago so I have caller ID now and I do not answer calls from people or numbers I do not recognize. If the calls are important they will leave a message but 99% of the time it turns out to be a voice mail with a minute or so of silence. It can be a pain constantly deleting those from my voice mail.

When the high-up idiots in our company decided to trash all desk phones and replace them with headphones connected to PCs running ... wait for it .... Microsoft messaging SW, things quickly went downhill.

A. I am no longer able to see that I missed a call when I was not in office.
B. I can no longer hear my phone ring when I am in my co-worker's cubicle next to mine.
C. I can no longer receive voicemail. (only once I got an email with a WAV file, nothing ever since)
D. I can no longer access voicemail.
E. If I have a problem with the PC or network, I can no longer call our IT dpt to fix it.

I smell a conspiracy theory - the IT guys just did not want to be bothered. So when they have high volume of calls, they kill the network. Voila - no more calls. :D

My old company used to do this and it was amazing. I really wish my current company did.

It was so much more convenient than having to pick up the phone and dial into voicemail.

Our company lawyers decided it would be a good idea to destroy all emails and voicemails after a short period of time (unless you were smart enough to move it completely outside the email system into a local folder). They're argument is they didn't want the evidence lying around (though I'm pretty sure that eventually the SarbOx rules would make you keep everything forever).

Our medical division had a problem with this as the FDA requires them to keep customer support data forever. It was kind of fun watching the corporate attorney's head explode over that one.

We got a memo one day extolling the virtues of electronic messaging for efficient internal and external communications. The next day the blocked access to AIM and all other offsite messaging. Why I asked? They're afraid that someone will send us a link to click on that will do something bad. And this is different from EMAIL or browsing WEBSITES how?

I should have known that I was in for it when the first thing the corporate antivirus did when installed on my PC is delete my screen saver (nothing "insecure" about it but it does annoy the IT guys because it alternates between the BSOD and the WINDOWS boot screen).

My old company used to do this and it was amazing. I really wish my current company did.

It was so much more convenient than having to pick up the phone and dial into voicemail.

Yup. My company started doing this and I like it. The other option was dialing remotely into my office inbox which involved a bunch of steps. But I may be different than most because I don't have a physical office phone and I don't give out my private work number. Pretty much the only message that is ever left is my assignment for the next day. Any other communication I have is on my cell phone or email.

Back