In the Shadow of the Moon

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Last night I took my son to a screening of the documentary In the Shadow of the Moon at the Florida Theater downtown. It was fantastic! As a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's I was totally enthralled with the space program, and we watched every launch from Alan Shepard's first flight right up to the last Apollo mission. My father even planned our vacation to Yellowstone in the summer of '69 so that we would be getting home the day before Apollo 11 launched, so the we wouldn't miss any of it.
Anyway, the documentary was very well done. Lot's of interviews with Apollo crew members interspersed with archival footage of the missions. I was particularly struck by their humorous recollections of specific events. I was also struck with the spiritual effect the missions had on many of the crew.
It was well worth seeing, and if anyone gets a chance to see it, I highly recommend doing so.

It is now on my list. I love that stuff and was so happy to be have worked at KSC. I used to spend a lot of time talking with the old timers about Pre-manned, mercury, et al. Good stuff.

I loved being able to see all the old stuff on the Cape as well. I worked in building 60705 which was just down the street from hangar S where the Mercury astronauts trained.

Back