In the company of giants.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Just got back from having a delightful lunch, (and yes you can have pancakes for lunch!) with people who *I* feel intellectually inferior around. And this is from a guy that aced college bio, chem, and physics. But to just sit back and listen to the good Doctor Chien talking about genomes, mutation, and gene orders, and then listen to Katherine Rawlins talk about the nature of black hole collisions, and the associated space-time distrubances, just sort of has you speechless. Oh yeah, Kent and Barry were there too, but they didn't intimidate me so much. :D

What a great day for flying, and a good day for lunch with some great people. I also love those 20kt tail winds.

Hmmmm, methinks Kent and I've been insulted, or at a minimum belittled!!!

Just kidding Ed! :blowkiss:

Next lunch let's pick a subject that will intimidate the good Doctor!

It was great seeing everyone again and hope to meet you again soon Ed.

Barry

LOL Barry. You know after I typed that, I thought you know I hope they take that the right way! Was nice meeting you as well. We aren't that far apart, although meeting in the middle would require our pipers to make a carrier landing.

And the other good thing about todays lunch, everyone that showed up had planes with with wings in the correct spot!
:dance:

Barry send me your email address, I don't have it.....Bruce (for pics :)

Sounds like a fun lunch. It's funny, I called Katherine a couple hours ago, thinking she was at home in Boston, to see if I could fly up and visit her tomorrow, and she told me she was sitting in an airport in Wisconsin and had had lunch with you guys. The world is a small place, with cell phones and planes! :)

Toby, you and Katherine need to take the "mighty" 150 on up to Machias, ME this spring. Rent a car from Blueberry Ford for the day, and drive 18 miles on over to Campobello to see the Roosevelt's "summer" place. Built in 1895, it had running hot and cold water, and electricity. The water tower still works. Why? It was made of Steel, not wood, which was BARGED in. Gives one a reminder of how the "dealmaker" class of the last industrial revolution really made out. Amazing. (Do be a little careful with the runway. It's 2909 long but the southern 800 feet drops 16 feet. Teeny shack is the FBO. More like a croft).

Eat lunch at Helen's, on the water in Machias. Wonderful Cherry Pie. Beautiful C150 trip from Hanscom (213 nm). Do a slow 180 around Cadillac Mountain (Acadia National Park) on the way home....May is the time, before the tourists come.

Last edited:
This sounds like a great day trip, Dr. Bruce. Thanks for the idea! I have never circled around a mountain.....

Hey, Kath, what do you think??

I keep hearing 'pics' flying around. Where are they??!! Post 'em if you got 'em! :D

Can you run through who's who in each pic? :)

Greebo said:

Do a "save as" and it will tell you.

Hi, all!
Toby warned me that y'all were talking about me in here, so I thought I'd better check it out! This'll be my first post. Hi everyone!
It's probably hard to tell which one is me in the pictures, but I'm the one with the glasses. (haha!)

This was such a fun flight! We flew over an undercast layer, knowing that it was clear on both sides. Meeting new pilots is always so cool. And Kent's landings were soooooo smooth...

--Kath

P.S. Pictures from Dulles and the Hudson River Corridor finally came back. I need to find a scanner.

P.P.S. How do you put a goofy picture of yourself on the side thingy?

kath said:
P.P.S. How do you put a goofy picture of yourself on the side thingy?

Go to User CP and click on Edit Avatar. Add a file from there. If you want to use one of your own the size has to be 100x100 pixels or smaller (I believe.)

Dang Carol! You are too quick! I was just going to post those directions myself!

S.

Greebo said:

Using the pictures at the table, Left to Right - Kath, Bruce, myself, Kent and last but not least Ed

bbchien said:
Barry send me your email address, I don't have it.....Bruce (for pics :)

Bruce, I have two e-mail addresses - by far the most reliable (at least in terms of getting a quick response) is my work address:
Barry.Stratton@harrisbank.com

The only problem there is that is its only M-F, on weekends, when I have time, I use an aol address but I'm not a regular checker on the aol site:
BStrat5934@aol.com

Barry

bbchien said:
Toby, you and Katherine need to take the "mighty" 150 on up to Machias, ME this spring. Rent a car from Blueberry Ford for the day, and drive 18 miles on over to Campobello to see the Roosevelt's "summer" place. Built in 1895, it had running hot and cold water, and electricity. The water tower still works. Why? It was made of Steel, not wood, which was BARGED in. Gives one a reminder of how the "dealmaker" class of the last industrial revolution really made out. Amazing. (Do be a little careful with the runway. It's 2909 long but the southern 800 feet drops 16 feet. Teeny shack is the FBO. More like a croft).

Eat lunch at Helen's, on the water in Machias. Wonderful Cherry Pie. Beautiful C150 trip from Hanscom (213 nm). Do a slow 180 around Cadillac Mountain (Acadia National Park) on the way home....May is the time, before the tourists come.

Oh don't forget to stop in at BHB - AcadiaAir is a good FBO, although the crosswinds can get a little dicey.

Drive on down to Bar Harbor (about 10 miles), or take the Island Explorer down. Walk around the town green - if you get in town for breakfast stop at the One Way Cafe - GREAT omlettes. Bar Harbor has lots of great shops - if you dig, hmm, "alternative" jewelry, check out the Willis Rock Shop - they use granite and true Maine tourmaline (many places advertise "Tourmaline - the Maine Stone", but it's generally Brazillian, not maine), in most of their jewelry (they even have elusive Maine watermellon tourmaline - beautiful stuff). You can stop down at Bark Harbor, the store for true dog nuts.

If you are looking to relax and catch a good movie, you can go down to Reel Pizza, a movie theater that has COUCHES for seating, top notch (really really really good) pizza, and serves local microbrews. And tickets are only $5!

If you are feeling a bit prim and proper, you can head down to the Jordan Pond House for high tea with popovers. The view is amazing - it's so amazing that my fiancee and I are getting married there!

Check out Thunder Hole (if the tides are right, have to be a mid to high with decent rolling action).

If you know when you'll be in town, and really love to hike, drop me a PM or an email... my family has lived up on MDI since the late 17th century. We can do a lobster dinner or something, maybe a hike up Champlain or Sargent (depends on how hard you like to hike ;) ), a trip to the Bowl, or maybe over to the Cranberry Isles. If we're in town, we'll show ya around.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back