In the apple store....

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
I'm in the aplenty store writing on an iPad . Thinking wifi (I have 4g hotspots from 2 services). So, Foreflight, Skype, Angry Birds suite (no looking forward to redoing some of those levels), basic browsing... 16g enough?

Probably, I have the entire US plates, sectionals, and IFR lows on my 64G and I don't think I've got 16G filled. Skype and Angry Birds won't take up muchr oom.

I'm in the aplenty store writing on an iPad . Thinking wifi (I have 4g hotspots from 2 services). So, Foreflight, Skype, Angry Birds suite (no looking forward to redoing some of those levels), basic browsing... 16g enough?

Foreflight requires 7GB for "complete coverage" but IME that can double if you want to download an update before the prior one expires. They recommend 32GB as a minimum and I concur.

http://www.foreflight.com/support/buying-guide.php

Review all comments about disk space from the past.
How many have said, "I wish I'd never bought so much, it is wasted."
Compare to comments like, "Gonna have to upgrade, almost out of space."
"Took on more programs/data than I ever thought, now it's full."
Also, in 1992, had you even heard of the term, "Terabyte"?

'Considering the minimal $ outlay compared to the anguish of running short......'

well, you get my opinion pretty clearly there.

Don't forget, the GPS is part of the 3G chipset, so you might need that.

Don't forget, the GPS is part of the 3G chipset, so you might need that.

Yeah, if you're not going to buy an external GPS, you'll want the 3G chipset, even if you never put a data plan on it.

I went the opposite direction -- bought the 64GB so I could put my entire music collection on the thing for those times when you get weathered-out in BFE and want to flip through some tunes in a hotel room somewhere.

Probably better resale value when the next bigger sizes come out too... starting at the 16GB guarantees that'll be the first one that falls off the "current hardware" list.

Probably better resale value when the next bigger sizes come out too... starting at the 16GB guarantees that'll be the first one that falls off the "current hardware" list.

I have never sold a piece of used electronics. I have thrown several overboard, but never sold.

I have never sold a piece of used electronics. I have thrown several overboard, but never sold.

LOL... I feel similarly... I use them until they die... but I still have this odd habit of thinking "Maybe I'll sell that someday."

Gazelle.com is interesting in this regard... you don't get full price for the junk, but you do get it out of your house, and they'll properly recycle it if they can't sell it.

You're paying for the convenience of not having to mess with it... you just toss it all in the box, and they make up a price on the other end... not the greatest way to do business, but if it was just going to sit in a drawer and have to be thrown out later anyway...

I've still got my TRS-80 model 100 laptop... It's been upgraded to the max RAM (24 KB) and has the 300 baud modem on it.

I've still got my TRS-80 model 100 laptop... It's been upgraded to the max RAM (24 KB) and has the 300 baud modem on it.

None of that Trash-80 stuff for me. I have a Heath/Zenith Z100 out in my garage... and a couple of 8" floppy drives.

None of that Trash-80 stuff for me. I have a Heath/Zenith Z100 out in my garage... and a couple of 8" floppy drives.

I still have my H89/90. I got rid of my H-150.

Did you do the modification so you could address 768KB of RAM under Z-DOS, or were you running it under CP/M? Did you spring for the 10MB Winchester drive?

I have the 32GB 3G model iPad, with Foreflight and about 11,000 photographs, a bunch of other apps and several books loaded. No music on the iPad (that's all on the iPhone). About half of the space has been used.

You'll quickly discover new uses for the iPad, and additional storage can't hurt.

Nope, I'll get the Bad Elf or Garmin.

Just curious.....why the Bad Elf or Garmin? Why not the internal GPS of the 3G iPad? Even if you choose not to activate the 3G subscription, wouldn't the internal GPS be a plus? :idea:

Just curious.....why the Bad Elf or Garmin? Why not the internal GPS of the 3G iPad? Even if you choose not to activate the 3G subscription, wouldn't the internal GPS be a plus? :idea:
The iPad's built-in GPS is satisfactory (barely) for laptop use in the C-172. Once in a great while it loses signal, but reacquires quickly when I hold the iPad up to the window. I imagine it would be more reliable if it were on a yoke mount or panel mount, but I've heard the external GPS receivers do better.

Did you do the modification so you could address 768KB of RAM under Z-DOS, or were you running it under CP/M? Did you spring for the 10MB Winchester drive?

CP/M

I built the contoller card based on the prints (not from a kit). I did get a Winchester drive, but I think I sprang for 20MB, which was very dear.

You'll want the 3G chipset 32GB. 16GB is just too small to hold much of anything and two foreflight cycles.

I know you think you'll just use an external GPS. But that's a giant PITA compared to the internal one which works perfectly for 95% of the use scenarios.

Not as reliable, not the same caliber of equipment.

Not as reliable, not the same caliber of equipment.
I had more problems with the Bad Elf then it was worth. I had the same thought as you did about using an external GPS. I later upgraded to one with a built in GPS and have never felt the need to use a Bad Elf.

I had more problems with the Bad Elf then it was worth. I had the same thought as you did about using an external GPS. I later upgraded to one with a built in GPS and have never felt the need to use a Bad Elf.

Is there a bluetooth option? Thing is, if I buy a 3G one I have to get one from Canada to get the full radio package. One of the Apple "Geniuses" clued me in to this but he blew his "Genius" status by telling me to order through Apple.ca. Problem is only ships to a Canadian address. I don't know if I can pay for it it with a non Canadian account, couldn't make it that far.:(

For me, the Apple experience has never been truly positive. They have always left me with the impression they are not worth the hype. The iPod while a great piece of equipment was handicapped with iTunes, it's the controlling your use of a product you buy crap, that's iPod and iPhones, I've had several of each. I'm not an Applephobe. I will probably get an iPad just to run Foreflight, but only because a better, brighter platform isn't available. Again I found using it for any written communications to be tedious. It's not the first time I've used one. I'm still debating it.

What do you mean by "full radio package"?

The Geniuses also make up stuff sometimes or try to pass along hokus-pokus they read on the Net to seem more like their namesake. ;)

In relation to Bluetooth, I can't figure out what would be different.

What do you mean by "full radio package"?

The Geniuses also make up stuff sometimes or try to pass along hokus-pokus they read on the Net to seem more like their namesake. ;)

In relation to Bluetooth, I can't figure out what would be different.

I was told that the US version of the 3G iPad only works on ATT freq and won't work on all GSM carriers, not a "lock" issue, but a hardware issue...:dunno:

Ohhh... the infamous "we're GSM, but not really" problem since we have bands no one else has... LOL...

Standards are great. Everyone can create their own! :D

Yeah so... I can't comment on that. Would have to research.

Speaking from personal experience. If you want to know where you're at, use an external GPS. The internal GPS can take 10+ minutes to get a fix. Also can lose signal... Without letting you know... It then uses the inertial sensors to reckon where you might be, and foreflight will happily believe what it's told.

There really is a reason why people deal with external GPS even though it's yet another thing to keep tabs on.

Never ever seen that.

The Foreflight HUD has an accuracy display that really should be selected as one of the four bottom boxes at all times.

It's not a RAIM-enabled device. It's also not intended for primary navigation, internal or external GPS.

But the scenario where you say it took ten minutes, I've not seen. I've also not seen it use gyro only information ever.

Did you get a screenshot?

Back