in search of an airplane to rent

Harvdog

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James Harvey
I am a private pilot planning to start instrument training later in the year. I will be hiring my original CFI independently as he is no longer with the flight school where I took my original flying lessons. I normally fly out of Manassas (KHEF) and am also close to Stafford (KRMN). The flight schools there have restrict rules about using their CFIs when renting their airplanes. As a result, I am looking for some options for renting an airplane for my instrument training. Any suggestions? Anyone here have an airplane they rent out?

Do those strict flight school rules follow a syllabus, or is it just politicts?

Do those strict flight school rules follow a syllabus, or is it just politicts?
Usually it's an insurance issue, but it can also be a business policy decision. It can be hard to retain instructors if the flight school allows independent instructors to give training in the school's aircraft, usually for more money than the school instructors get paid. As the OP is discovering, it can be very hard to find someone to rent you a plane in which to get training from someone else.

Because it can be cost prohibitive ,due to insurance costs,you will have a hard time finding someone who want to rent to you,at a reasonable fee.

Check out any flying clubs in the area. They tend to allow independent instruction.

The largest school around here instructs only in their planes, at double the price offered at nearby airports. I wanted to get my Commercial in my plane, not someone else's 172 that flies nothing like it . . . CFI's at the lower priced places are hard to catch, maybe that's why they charge less.

The largest school around here instructs only in their planes, at double the price offered at nearby airports. I wanted to get my Commercial in my plane, not someone else's 172 that flies nothing like it . . .
It's usually pretty easy to find an instructor to teach in your own plane -- lots of us independents around. Ask around the airport.

If only there were pilots to ask . . . The FBO won't say . . . But I've got feelers out anyway.

I'm budgeting 10-12 hours for the maneuvers [1 hour each with CFI, 1 hour to practice; more for some, less for others].

The hard part will be studying the applicable FARs. But I managed it for PPL and IA, guess I can do it again for the CPL.

Or should I start my own thread, "in search of a cfi to rent"? :lol:

Back