In search of Airband Headset for Ramp Use

Ethan Memming

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BuildingInnovation
I am a psa and spend most of my day on the ramp, Im looking for a good headset that is two way air band compatible and can plug into my mp3 player. I have no idea where to begin looking and im not sure what brands are preferred.

Never seen one with the receiver in the headset. Usually folks do that with a handheld on their belt and headset connected to it. PTT is also going to be weird. You going to put another cable and a PTT in your pocket where it can be accidentally tripped or held down, or use the PTT on the handheld?

You don't see too many headsets with built in PTT but I had an old DC knockoff from Sigtronics I think it was, that had a guarded PTT button on the left ear cup exterior, there as a backup PTT in the days when intercoms were carried in your flight bag along with a Velcro strap PTT for the yoke.

I have no idea if anyone is making anything like that anymore.

You can find PTT-in-the-earcup pretty common in the racecar industry. You'll have to investigate the "plug" compatibility with the radio you're considering.

Rugged radios sells headsets with PTT in the earcups. I have a couple of em. They also sell the adapters to go from normal GA dual plugs to the little plugs on a hand held. That's what I have in the plane for backup in case of electrical failure.

Back