In San Diego, Jan 12 - 14. Looking for things to do.

CMTowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris - 80T
I'll be making a trip to San Diego with a friend Jan 12 - 14 and looking for things to do while the friend is at a conference. Staying down near the gas lamp district I believe, and looking for attractions within walking distance. Any good idea's for places I can venture on foot?

Here's a thread I started a year or two ago, and got great advice for San Diego.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35389

I ended up doing the USS Midway, and the Zoo (via the bus and train systems--very easy to use). It took more effort, but we rode up to La Jolla and kayaked around the sea caves, and later walked around town. That was fun--but a bit of a bus ride.

Enjoy!

Mission Trails is an excellent way to spend the day especially this time of year.If your into hiking and that sort of thing.

Jack

I'll be making a trip to San Diego with a friend Jan 12 - 14 and looking for things to do while the friend is at a conference. Staying down near the gas lamp district I believe, and looking for attractions within walking distance. Any good idea's for places I can venture on foot?

If you don't mind walking, you can definitely get to MIDWAY on foot from the gaslamp. Also tons of good eating/drinking establishments in the Gaslamp.

The San Diego Air and Space Museum (in Balboa Park near the Zoo) is a great one as well, but you will want to look into the trolley/bus or take a cab.

One item of note though. Stay WITHIN the gas lamp area during the daytime and night if you are on foot. Once you hit the outer edges, things can get a little rough. Stay within the crowds of the gas lamp area.

Thanks guys. I think Midway and the Air & Space are two definite stops for me.

You like sushi? My favorite is in gaslamp near the mall. It's called Sushi Deli 2. Phenomenal and cheap.

Also consider San Diego Old Town Park. you can get there with the trolley. It shows a bit of the older days. They have a working blacksmith shop on site, a collection of old horse-powered wagons and some other museums.

I just reread the quesiton you asked. The last few times I went to San Diego, car rentals were really cheap too. I just checked and they are $15/day incl tax. If you haven't been before it is DEFINATELY worth getting a car and visiting pacific beach, ocean beach, mission bay, la jolla cove, zoo, etc during the day. Gaslamp isn't really all that interesting until the evening. Have fun. I LOVE san diego.

Back