In Need of Pilots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wolfman

I am an aerial photographer based in NYC. I do photo shoots all over the world, and am always in need of pilots. If you are a private pilot and own or have access to a Cessna-172, please contact me:

J Henry Fair
New York, NY
khwb.photog@gmail.com

Thanks!

Cross posting is highly discouraged here.

And I hope you're asking for commercial pilots, since aerial photography falls under compensation-for-hire?

Not just a commercial pilot, either.... The original poster is asking someone to provide the airplane too. I believe:

A private pilot can fly an airplane, and take aerial photos, and sell the photos, and the photo sales are not considered compensation.

A photographer with an airplane (or an aerial photography firm that operates an airplane) can pay a commercial pilot to fly the airplane while pictures are taken.

But if you provide an airplane and a pilot to somebody else - you need to be certificated (an operator) to do so.

Corrections welcomed.

Tim, I think you're right. My conspiracy hat tells me "FAA trap", but naaaah, they wouldn't try something like that! I bet the original poster just doesn't know what the FARs are about this. Heck, even pilots have trouble understanding this!

A private pilot can fly an airplane, and take aerial photos, and sell the photos, and the photo sales are not considered compensation.

I know photographers using ultra-lights to avoid the commercial requirements (although did LSA change that?). If what you're saying is reality, I got some flying to do. :D

I know photographers using ultra-lights to avoid the commercial requirements (although did LSA change that?). If what you're saying is reality, I got some flying to do. :D
Ultralights can't be operated for compensation or hire.

Pass the popcorn.

Ultralights can't be operated for compensation or hire.

Pass the popcorn.

Well...this oughta get interesting, then. Because at DVT, in the lobby, is a series of aerial landscapes shot by a photographer flying an ultralight. It's even mentioned in his bio, which features a self-portrait of him flying an ultralight. And I highly doubt he's giving this stuff away....

Well...this oughta get interesting, then. Because at DVT, in the lobby, is a series of aerial landscapes shot by a photographer flying an ultralight. It's even mentioned in his bio, which features a self-portrait of him flying an ultralight. And I highly doubt he's giving this stuff away....

If he's flying the ultralight, and he's taking the pictures, then it's fine for him to get compensated for the pictures.

If he's paying someone to fly the ultralight and he's taking pictures, then that would not be so legal.

If he's flying the ultralight, and he's taking the pictures, then it's fine for him to get compensated for the pictures.

If he's paying someone to fly the ultralight and he's taking pictures, then that would not be so legal.

He's flying himself.

So I, as a private pilot, can fly around, take scenic images, and sell them without having a commercial license? Despite the fact that I couldn't get those images WITHOUT being in the air so it can't be considered a "ride along" type activity? Hmmm....

He's flying himself.

So I, as a private pilot, can fly around, take scenic images, and sell them without having a commercial license? Despite the fact that I couldn't get those images WITHOUT being in the air so it can't be considered a "ride along" type activity? Hmmm....

As I understand it, yes, you can.

But that letter also seems to imply that as a commercial pilot I could provide an airplane for hire to other aerial photographers as long as I took off and landed at the same airport.

I was only focusing on me as a private pilot. I'm very self-centered. Just ask me. :rofl:

So, another scenario (completely hypothetical).

I take my friend who is a photographer (as a hobby) flying, and encourage said friend to take pictures (after all, I want the pictures, too!). Said friend gives me pictures, and then also sells pictures to someone else, because they're just that good.

Since the flight was entirely on me cost wise, this should still be legal, right?

Should be fine, unless you start to make a habit of these flights and your friend gives you any money at all.

I was only focusing on me as a private pilot. I'm very self-centered. Just ask me. :rofl:

I pulled my original comment because in the opinion it was implied that the guy was providing an airplane and pilot, but the other photographers were employees/contractors working for his business, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back