in need of cobble advice

John Recine

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Recine
I have contacted 2 resources that I have some familiarity in dealing with but thought I would try posting to the general membership for advice and counsel in what to me is a delima.

I am trying to cobble together a system for purposes of recording and producing a build video using 3 different generations of eqipment. The newest being my older dell laptop PC with XP pro on it.

I have a VHS C video camera, a Dazzle 80 capture card and computers that run XP. You being a computer guy can maybe lend me some of your expert advice. At present non of that equipment communicates too well so I am unable to capture the video some live and from already recorded tape, tun it into my lap or desk top and edit it into a build video to document my progress as I build. I suppose it would be similar to your build cam with the exception of a tape to record on to that can be viewed at a later date.

I thought I would set it up in my shop, do some narration as I build the piet.

Any suggestions?

Type slow so I can get it all.

I dont want to spend any money on the video capture system, I would rather the cash go into the project and as you all know pilots would rather spend cash of flying.

So I need all the free resources you can conjure up for me to get all that old stuff to talk.

I look forward to your learned advice and suggestions and thank all who are able and willing to contribute ideas and advice in advance.

Thanks

John

Disclaimer: I neither condone nor advice the use of any of the methods presented below: a miniDV camera from WallyWorld or BigBuy is probably the best bet.

The dazzle 80 should be capable of capturing the video from the Camcorder. There are probably 2 ways to do this:
  1. Connect the camcorder via RCA outputs and simply "record" into the PC
  2. Use a VHS player and a VHS-C to VHS adapter cartridge to play the video back on the PC, record it using the Dazzle.
Once you have the video files in your PC, you need to edit them. Windows comes with movie making software which is . . . interesting and there are numerous other options. I will defer to others as to the most cost effective, as I use the quite expensive Adobe suite.

A note on all of this: Video takes up space. Lots of space. A full plane build might take as much as multiple Terabytes (1000 GB). If you are going to do this, plan to buy another hard disc at some point.

~ Christopher

Back