In MASS you need a permit to carry pepper spray. WTF

cirrusmx

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
campoalavista
I was trying to buy pepper spray for my wife as we live in the city and she walks and use public transportation daily. On top of that it gets dark really early and a lot of sketchy people are all over the place. Guess what, The great state of Massachusetts requires a permit to be able to defend yourself. Apparently, it takes several months to get permission to bear pepper spray. I find this disgusting and a violation of the right to defend your life.

Technically, I believe you need a hunting license for bear pepper spray.

I could be wrong.

you need to apply for a restricted firearm identification card. When you buy pepper spray it goes into the registry for 10 years. oh well.

Do you have a Constitutional right to bear arms? I haven't checked, but if California does not have the same law, it soon will.

Never vote incumbent if you want to see real change.

-John

Welcome to Boston... I think you will find that most parts of town are very safe at night, and there is little reason to carry it.

OR, you could get the permit then get your pepper spray.

OR, you could get the permit then get your pepper spray.

Just as soon as the Boston Globe has to apply for a government permit and THEN publish its edition.

Welcome to Boston... I think you will find that most parts of town are very safe at night, and there is little reason to carry it.

wait until you send a daughter to college. College campus are generally pretty safe, but rape and assault still happen.

Pepper spray is a bad item for self defense. The civilian version is not as strong as the stuff law enforcement uses. It's not something that will stop the threat immediately. People can fight through it, or not affect them at all. If they are on drugs, forget about it. Plus when it gets sprayed chances of getting a blow-back from it back onto you are very great. Tell your wife to kick them in the balls, scream, and run away. In my office, I don't know anybody who carries it anymore. We even have the water based that is Taser friendly.

Yet another reason why MA is on my list of places to not live. :yes:

getting the permit takes months!

huh? Taxachusetts is a shall-issue state. Getting the FID *should* be pretty quick.

In 2011 I received my FID 6 weeks after starting my application (and about 3 weeks after taking the required safety course).

huh? Taxachusetts is a shall-issue state. Getting the FID *should* be pretty quick.

In 2011 I received my FID 6 weeks after starting my application (and about 3 weeks after taking the required safety course).

Shall issue does not mean "shall issue in a timely fashion". If there is no law about how long it can take, they can drag their feet all they want to.

Hair spray in the eyes probably works just as well as pepper spray. Last I heard, it's legal for women in all states to carry hair spray.:D

Think that is bad MA outlawed novelty lighters and there is no grandfather clause and no permit to own one. Liberty was born and died here.

I live in hell err I mean MA. Here is a link celebrating our new safety. State Fire Marshall Stephen D. Coan is warning both the public and retailers that the sale of so-called novelty lighters is now banned in Massachusetts because children have started fires after mistaking them for toys. "They should not be in the hands of children,'' Coan said today. http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/11/the_look_like_c.html

Sorry you consider life in Massachusetts to be hell. Perhaps you should move. And thanks for the link. Seems reasonable to me, if lighters are being used by children as toys. And why do people have lighters anyway? Remember, it's not healthy to smoke!:D

Trade freedom for safety you say? Sounds like a splendid idea, let's get started with some of our favority things.

Trade freedom for safety you say? Sounds like a splendid idea, let's get started with some of our favority things.

I think some of your posts elsewhere speak volumes about your regard for safety.

Sorry you consider life in Massachusetts to be hell. Perhaps you should move. And thanks for the link. Seems reasonable to me, if lighters are being used by children as toys. And why do people have lighters anyway? Remember, it's not healthy to smoke!:D

I was in Mass. for a while, NJ also. I left both. The South had right 150 yrs ago.

As a nation, I suggest an amicable split. Perhaps leaving a coalition, but with separate constitutions. The South can keep the Original and the Northeast can do whatever.

But you have to keep D.C. and Hillary can be your King... sorry queen

I was in Mass. for a while, NJ also. I left both. The South had right 150 yrs ago.

As a nation, I suggest an amicable split. Perhaps leaving a coalition, but with separate constitutions. The South can keep the Original and the Northeast can do whatever.

When it happens will you please sponsor me as a political refugee. I promise not to vote.

Carry wasp spray; it shoots farther and isn't designed for use against humans.

a $2 bottle of hair spray from walmart or target, and a lighter.

Do you need a permit to carry a baseball bat?

OK if you are using it on Yankees fans, otherwise no you aren't allowed to defend yourself in MA. The state AG said something to the effect of we discourage and punish people who resort to self help.

Shall issue does not mean "shall issue in a timely fashion". If there is no law about how long it can take, they can drag their feet all they want to.

Actually, it is my understanding that there is a Massachusetts law that specifies the timeframe for processing applications and renewels. The idiot anti-gun a-holes (I know, that's redundant) haven't been complying with the law, nor has anyone been charged with non-compliance.

Actually, it is my understanding that there is a Massachusetts law that specifies the timeframe for processing applications and renewels. The idiot anti-gun a-holes (I know, that's redundant) haven't been complying with the law, nor has anyone been charged with non-compliance.

In MA 'suitable' for a gun permit is 100% up to the local chief of police, if you complain about the time you are 'unsuitable.' What do you have to kill someone today? Seriously people pick towns to live in based on how gun friendly the current chief is, birthplace and deathspot of liberty.

I think you are are saying that folks are confusing a federal firearms id (FID) and a permit to carry a concealed handgun, maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

One is possession of a gun FID, the other, LTC is a concealed carry license.

Ahhhh, the pleasure of living in Texas

Have her carry a can of wasp spray. Just tell her to remember that she carries it to kill bugs and that she did not know how it got in her hand while she was being attacked. "It all happened so fast. Before I knew what was going on he was on the ground screaming and I was standing there with a can of wasp spray in my hands..."

Back