In Light Turbulence (gyro-stabilized video)

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
I know I've posted a video like this before, but I am starting to really like the perspective of a gyro-stabilized gopro. AWOS reported winds 18 gusting to 25, mostly down the runway. Not bad, but because the runway's length and end are bounded by dense trees, there's a bit more turbulence than if these structures weren't there.

And the stabilized camera mount shows how my reaction to the wind is either delayed or exaggerated. It's also neat to see the latency between input to yoke and plane actually responding with the bank.

If I was an instructor, I would really consider using the single-axis (maybe even dual) gopro mount (someone posted a link to a very nice dual-axis mount and I will at some point get it).

Nice. ,makes me want one. You do realize that the runway is all yours though right? There is no left and right lane like the freeway... It's all yours.

Jes messin....... :p

Nice. ,makes me want one. You do realize that the runway is all yours though right? There is no left and right lane like the freeway... It's all yours.

Jes messin....... :p
Anyone considerate pilot will give one side of the runway a break from their landing wrath every now and then.

Distributing the wear across the whole width of the runway is just one of the public service tasks that some of us civic minded individuals undertake.

I would never admit that I have trimmed the grass on the runway edge......never.

All right, you're all too funny. I didn't think anyone would notice :D. There was only slight xwind from the right but enough to make me drift near the grass.

So on takeoff, after one gets a little above the treeline height, the wind flow is smooth, not turbulent at all. The opposite is true on landing though: on start of final it's all smooth, then as the plane descends on short final, at tree top height and below, things start getting choppy.

In any case, it is so true of what they say about the little J-3 Cub, that it improves the stick-and-rudder skills. I don't claim success at all, but that yellow plane is totally changing the way I fly the C172 :)

I just purchased a DJI OSMO. It's a 3-axis system and get absolutely incredible videos. But I found a major problem and one that has been reported by a lot of users. The horizontal axis is unstable. One side or the other drops down and it's difficult to get it back level again. I'm really sad about this because otherwise it is such a cool camera. Unfortunately, this one is going to get sent back.

What mount are you using?

What gimbal is that?

1. The camera is an older GoPro HD2.
  2. The GoPro camera is housed in the GoPro "skeleton" case (allows audio in/out to be connected); the default gopro case would do just fine.
  3. The GoPro case it attached to the MotoGyroVision single-axis gyroscope http://motogyrovision.com/ (no affiliation, I just used the gyro and like it much). You'll have to remote the original back plate on the gopro case and use the back plate case that is attached to the motogyrovision gyro. Simple to do. The motogyrovision single-axis gyro is what keeps the GoPro camera "level" with the horizon while the plane banks. I have an older version 2; I think i newer version is now available. See the link above. (this particular gyro seems to be advertised specifically for motorcycle; very good customer service, in my experience).
  4. The MotoGyroVision is attached a Ram mount suction cup (or any other mount that has the type of standard connector the gyro requires).
  5. The Ram mount suction cup is attached to the passenger side window, in the interior. I think other mou
I'll take a photo and post it when i get a chance.

I've had great luck with the Feiyu Tech G4 (the G3 is available some places still, but has some exposed wires that can get snagged).

Example:

Back