In-flight video with single-axis gyro

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
A short in-flight video clip taken with GoPro2 while mounted on a "MotoGyroVision" single-axis gyro. While the airplane is in a bank, the camera's gyro chip and magnetometer keep the GoPro2 aligned with the horizon -this gives is nice perspective while the airplane is in a bank

I think most people that buy this single-axis gyro, use it on their motorcycles. This is the first time I've used it to stabilize the GoPro and I've never used anything similar before, so I can't do a comparison. But I was very happy it on the first try.

I tried to use it on the Piper Cub, but I didn't mount the suction cup that holds the gopro and gyro well enough and the thing detached. The suction mount, gopro with "skelleton shield" and the "Motogyrovision" aren't all that light so a clean, flat surface is important for the suction mount.

Edit: if interested in the gyro, more info here http://motogyrovision.com/ (

A short in-flight video clip taken with GoPro2 while mounted on a "MotoGyroVision" single-axis gyro. While the airplane is in a bank, the camera's gyro chip and magnetometer keep the GoPro2 aligned with the horizon -this gives is nice perspective while the airplane is in a bank

I think most people that buy this single-axis gyro, use it on their motorcycles. This is the first time I've used it to stabilize the GoPro and I've never used anything similar before, so I can't do a comparison. But I was very happy it on the first try.

I tried to use it on the Piper Cub, but I didn't mount the suction cup that holds the gopro and gyro well enough and the thing detached. The suction mount, gopro with "skelleton shield" and the "Motogyrovision" aren't all that light so a clean, flat surface is important for the suction mount.

Edit: if interested in the gyro, more info here http://motogyrovision.com/ (

Spiffy, though you might want to think about turning off your electronics before shutting the engine down, saves on the batteries a bit.

I have been fooling around with post-filming stabilization, but this looks much easier. Thanks iWantWings, I will check out the link.

A short in-flight video clip taken with GoPro2 ...

I really like how the landing turned out with that gizmo. I guess you're eyes do a lot of that motion compensation for you because it seemed more natural looking than most videos. The steep turns looked kinda odd because you don't typcally tilt your head when doing those, but still a cool effect.

Have you tried the neutral density filter trick to get a slower shutter speed(prop motion blur)? I've been wanting to try that but haven't yet.

Glad you liked it. I find it interesting to watch it from a "third person" perspective and see how the attitude of the plane actually changes relative to the horizon. Would be cool if the gyro had 2-axis stabilization and then the up/down pitch would be "stablized" as well.

here's a link to a slightly longer video

I have been fooling around with post-filming stabilization, but this looks much easier. Thanks iWantWings, I will check out the link.

No problem. The guy that offers this is very helpful, so if you have any questions or comments, email him. He does say on this product that it is not meant for "stabilization" or attenuating effectrs of vibrations, etc., but it does do a good job on 1 axis. Fun to play with, i'll be using it more when i get the chance.

I really like how the landing turned out with that gizmo. I guess you're eyes do a lot of that motion compensation for you because it seemed more natural looking than most videos. The steep turns looked kinda odd because you don't typcally tilt your head when doing those, but still a cool effect.

Have you tried the neutral density filter trick to get a slower shutter speed(prop motion blur)? I've been wanting to try that but haven't yet.

One of the things i noticed, for the first time in a video, is the latency between aileron input and time it takes for the plane to bank. Fun to watch. On final it was a little breezy so you can see control inputs and how the plane responds (weather corrected late or overcorrected).

If I was a CFI and if my students were okay with recording the flight, I would surely use this (along with a 2nd recorder dedicated for instruments) to debrief a flight. What would help is 2nd axis stabilization to make more evident the changes in pitch (like when you reduce power, etc.).

Fun to play with after the flight.

EDIT: i didn't try using a neutral density filter yet. What i would like is a hard graduated density filer to help balance the dynamic range between the poolrly lit instrument panel relative to the bright sky. I might just try that (and it would also "fix" the effect on the prop).

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Looks like Corona...FlyCorona?

That is wicked cool. I really like that look over a locked down camera. Much more realistic to me.

Back