In air quick turn clearance?

KyleT

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
1kilotango
Maybe I read it in here maybe not can't remember.

Scenario is an aircraft on an ifr plan has to pick up or drop off a passenger. Conditions are low but not super low ifr. Uncontrolled field. He has time and able to cancel in the air if he wanted to but no service on the ground.

Pilot asks atc for his departure clearance and release time while on the initial approach. Say a 15 min ground stop or less. Or whatever. Is this called something? Quick turn clearance? Or?

Scenario b, same above but pilot is essentially doing a taxi back tossing passenger out while moving. Can he request his plan stay open long enough to get back out?

What is the proper concise terminology for this?

Maybe I read it in here maybe not can't remember.

Scenario is an aircraft on an ifr plan has to pick up or drop off a passenger. Conditions are low but not super low ifr. Uncontrolled field. He has time and able to cancel in the air if he wanted to but no service on the ground.

Pilot asks atc for his departure clearance and release time while on the initial approach. Say a 15 min ground stop or less. Or whatever. Is this called something? Quick turn clearance? Or?

Scenario b, same above but pilot is essentially doing a taxi back tossing passenger out while moving. Can he request his plan stay open long enough to get back out?

What is the proper concise terminology for this?

It's called a "through clearance"

Keep in mind the airport is locked from any other IFR operations for the duration absence on he frequency.

Last edited:
It's called a "through clearance"

Keep in mind the airport is locked from any other IFR operations for the duration absence on he frequency.
...which makes it somewhat difficult to obtain unless you're in the middle of either Iowa or the night, but it can't hurt to ask anyway.

I have asked for my clearance on the way in to make the outbound leg go a little faster. I would still cancel the inbound flight plan but the controller knew I had already received my clearance but i was not released. On the outbound you can just call up when you're ready to go and get the release. Saves the time on the ground reading back the clearance. It is a small time saver for the quick turn if the controller has time to do it for you which is not always the case.

I knew this was referred to as a through clearance but have never done it. How is the flight plan filed? 2 flight plans or 1 flight plan with an airport in the middle?

Or longer. If the aircraft is not heard from within the allotted time it becomes an overdue aircraft and those procedures must be applied. IFR traffic will be suspended for 30 minutes beyond the void time unless radar separation can be used.

Back