Impulse Coupling Question

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Does anyone know which magneto (left or right) the impulse coupler is installed on in the Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 (on the Piper Arrow) with Bendix RSA-5AD1 magnetos? I'm trying to find out which magneto provides the first spark upon firing.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

I'll let the experts give a definitive answer but I'm pretty sure if only one mag has the impulse coupling it's the left. Open the cowl move the prop slowly you'll hear it click.

Joe

Jason,

I'll let the experts give a definitive answer but I'm pretty sure if only one mag has the impulse coupling it's the left. Open the cowl move the prop slowly you'll hear it click.

Joe

thats been my experience as well. left mag has the impulse coupling. curious why you're wondering? does the arrow have a push then turn key starter?

On the IO-360-A1B6 in the RV, the impulse coupler is on the left mag.

Its on the left unless you have dual impulse couplers like my Tiger. I start on "Both".

Does anyone know which magneto (left or right) the impulse coupler is installed on in the Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 (on the Piper Arrow) with Bendix RSA-5AD1 magnetos? I'm trying to find out which magneto provides the first spark upon firing.

Thanks,
Jason

That is a Part Number for the fuel servo. http://www.aircraftaccessoriesofok.com/capabilities_i814557.html?catId=33352

Take the cowling off and look at the mags and you can tell. Typically if it's one mag it's on the left.

Last edited:
Our itty-bitty old airplanes have this? Sounds like something out of Star Wars.

Our itty-bitty old airplanes have this? Sounds like something out of Star Wars.

Naaw...more like Star Trek.

Here's what happens if you use too much impulse coupling:
sound%20condensation%20yes.jpg

thats been my experience as well. left mag has the impulse coupling. curious why you're wondering? does the arrow have a push then turn key starter?

Any piston Single Engine I have flown, the impulse was always on the left mag. Even the Arrow's (Pipers) with the turn and push key, when you move the key from both to start, it grounds the right mag for the impulse on the left mag to start it. (At least that's what my A&P said).

I'd have to check what happens on the Seneca II.

This beast in the picture below has no key, it has two "flip switches" , one for each mag and a push button starter. Left Mag hot, battery on, push the starter buttong. Engine fires, right mag on.

This beast in the picture below has no key, it has two "flip switches" , one for each mag and a push button starter. Left Mag hot, battery on, push the starter buttong. Engine fires, right mag on.

That's how we have the RV wired - we also have it wired so that if you happen to have the right mag on, the starter won't engage.

Back