Improving the perception of Sport Pilots and LSAs

jcwCT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jcwCT
While driving to the office this morning, I asked myself this question:

"What can I do, as one individual Sport Pilot, to improve the sometimes negative perceptions of the Sport Pilot Certificate and the light-sport aircraft we fly?"

Then it struck me.

The next time I radio the tower for takeoff, I will no longer be "Jabiru seven-three-one Juliet."

I will have become "J-Bird seven-thirty-one heavy."

Since I'm at an uncontrolled field, I can start flying the pattern at 1500' agl and make turns with a radius of 3 miles. Then they'd know I was *something*.

Nah. What I did do was fly over to the EDU open house in formation with my Sting Sport LSA friend, park and let a couple dozen kids climb all over my plane while their parents talked and took pictures.

Owning a liberty and being mistaken for an lsa I just smile a lot . Remember no matter what you own,and fly you are the one who is in the air. By the way I have flown the jabiru and liked it.

Remember no matter what you own,and fly you are the one who is in the air.

Exactly. I enjoy watching anything fly and chatting with their pilots. Remember, most of us did not learn to fly in a jet or even HP. Some forget where they started. It takes some big cohones to leave the earth, no matter what you do it in. You may go at it a little slower and save some fuel, making the enjoyment last longer.

There's a Bonanza guy at my field that occasionally gives me snarky looks while taxiing by. I feel sad until I realize I'm burning 3-5gph of MOGAS (with ethanol!) and he's burning 14-16gph of AVGAS. The time it takes him to give the dirty look probably burns more gas than I use in a circuit around the pattern... :D

Back