Importing a Diesel

Keep in mind that when the engine is done, it's done.

I know the guy who flew the first DA42 diesel in from Austria to the US. I'll PM you the contact information.. Of course he bought his from the factory.

I've always been a fan of the DA40 TDI. Was surfing the net and ran across this.
http://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent=da&id=24423&cor=y

Anyone have an idea of what the cost are associated with having it shipped/ferryd across the pond? No really looking to purchase in the immediate future, just food for thought:)

The shipping is probably the least of your worries - the worst is going to be getting a US airworthiness certificate. I'm not sure if the motor currently in it was ever certified by the FAA. If not, you would have to apply for a special / limited airworthiness certificate if you want it registered in the US.

I assume the motor is definitely certified under JAA standards, if so ICAO makes it so the US SHOULD (not necessarily must) recognize the certification.

I have looked into having a foreign registered airplane in the US to avoid some of the FAA rules on non-certified equipment and to have a fun tail number that isn't a "N"...way more complicated, and from the attorney I spoke with about it, may require a JAA license instead (since FAA forced to allow foreign registered airplanes to fly in US, but that being said could also prevent US pilots from flying foreign aircraft in US airspace - there is a registration requirement under the FARs but there is also a contradictory permission to fly a foreign registered aircraft in the US with a US pilot's license...)

PM me if you're actually interested in doing this - would love to help as much as I could to learn how to do it.

Last edited:
Get a Deltahawk instead. Made in the US and designed from the ground up as an airplane engine not a convert and no reduction gear.

Was at an AOPA safety seminar last night at KOJC. The FBO was pointing out their DA 40, saying it's the first (maybe only) N# diesel Diamond in the US. Too bad they didn't open it up to show off the engine.

They have newer diesels that are supported. Actually, they're quite sweet performers based on the Mercedes Benz car engine.

Back