IMHO, Top 5 Things that Make Us, As a Whole, Look Stupid

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Pilots are a smart bunch. We have to be. The tests we take are strenuous, the knowledge we must possess is difficult to interpret and comprehend. For some reason, we constantly do things that make us look absolutely retarded, and here's my list.

1) I knew a guy named Gage once. He was a funny guy. Your airplane has gauges, and while sometimes they may act funny, they're no Gage. Interestingly enough, this mistake is not only made by pilots, but I've even seen the word in POHs and AFMs. Not good, guys.

2) I also knew a guy named Mike. He was really loud sometimes. Your headset has a mic, and while it can be loud sometimes, its no Mike. See, Mike had a mic too, and Mike was always talking on his mic. Mike was a musician, and his mic was an integral part of his performance. Much like the pilot's performance talking to ATC, except ATC doesn't appreciate hearing "Thank you, Cleveland!" after you are handed off.

3) Fuel Exhaustion accidents. There are only 2 cases where fuel exhaustion is acceptable: When you sprung a gigantic leak in flight and dumped all of your fuel overboard; and....well, ok, I can only think of one. Why do we keep having accidents related to running out of fuel? I am sure most of these accidents didn't come from giant holes being punched in the airplane's wings. They stem from laziness, a trait that pilots should have dropped during the marathon that was the practical test.

4) Busting Airspace. I hate the reality that the United States is covered with Temporary Flight Restrictions and controlled airspaces and Air Defense Identification Zones, and Restricted Areas, and Prohibited Areas, and so on and so on. Unfortunately, as much as I hate that reality, its something we as pilots have to deal with every time we fly. Every time a pilot busts airspace, he puts the entire aviation community on trial by the public. "Why was he even allowed to fly that plane over that major metropolitan city?", "Where is the government in blocking those little menaces?", etc. Avoiding airspace is easy, with some preflight planning, and even if you're the dreaded "Kick them tires and light them fires" kind of pilot, even a basic GPS will keep you out of most of these areas.

5) Blind Faith. Not the religious kind, of course, I'm talking about following anyone's advice without double or triple checking the facts. I don't care if the person who told you that the FAA allows pilots to enter Prohibited Areas if you squawk a certain code was a CFI or some dude off the street, check the facts. I've had just as many CFIs try to guide me to the wrong conclusion as I have non-CFIs, and the only thing that has saved my life on at least 2 occasions was my questioning attitude when a CFI tried to tell me something 100% wrong. A great deal of accidents happen everyday with a CFI in the right seat. That doesn't make the presence of a CFI more dangerous, but it certainly means they're not infallible or perfect. ALWAYS double check your facts.

And that's my rant du jour. What do you all think? Do you have your own 5 things?

In the vein of 1 and 2, You may like to handle the yolk when you're in an airplane. However, I would eat breakfast before I took off so my hands were free to use the yoke. And if you have yolk on your yoke, then perhaps you should fetch some paper towels and clean up before the next time your wife rides with you.

In the vein of 1 and 2, You may like to handle the yolk when you're in an airplane. However, I would eat breakfast before I took off so my hands were free to use the yoke. And if you have yolk on your yoke, then perhaps you should fetch some paper towels and clean up before the next time your wife rides with you.

Ooh - good one. I suppose I could add one too:

6) It takes real flair to flare an airplane.

Re #1 and #2: Less caffeine, Nick. Less caffeine. -Skip
Ditto!

Although, if I recall... the standard dictionary in the spell checker here does not contain "gauge." It does have "gage."

I believe it was this one I modified. I'd have to start clean and look.

I ain't got no ideal what y'all are talkin' about. :dunno:

What spell checker?
The little box in the upper right with the "ABC" and check mark. You also see it on the quick post box below. You have to install free software for it but it works great.

You can hang coat on a hanger, but your airplane goes in a hangar.

How about applying the brakes before you end up breaking something?

Don't even get me started on "your" vs "you're" and "it's" vs "its" ...

The little box in the upper right with the "ABC" and check mark. You also see it on the quick post box below. You have to install free software for it but it works great.
Ok, just note - thats not the default spell checker *HERE*. Thats on your browser, and not affiliated with PoA.

And I can put hangers in my hangar to hold my clothes, or I could if I had one, but hangars won't fit on a hanger, so I won't bother trying.

And in general I'm in agreement with you, Nick!

Edit: Well, Greg beat (or is that beet :)) me to this, but it's only because I had network issues!

Ok, just note - thats not the default spell checker *HERE*. Thats on your browser, and not affiliated with PoA.
But, it's accessible on THIS board and as such I think it's more than reasonable to hold you and the entire MC personally responsible for its inadequacies.

:goofy: :D :goofy: :D :goofy:

You'll be a loser if your prop becomes looser

Nick;
Just call them stupid pilot tricks. Recent landing on route 495 (you'll remember that road as a high speed +90 MPH BORING highway) at 5PM by a 1946 cessna 170 was just that-out of fuel. They parked it overnight at a hotel, then pulled the wings off it, trailered it 10 miles, and reassembled it and recertified it for flight. At least it was painful to the owner.
Or as a buddy of mine said.... Maybe someone bet him $1000 he couldn't land on a highway at rush hour.
Stupid pilot tricks. How does one defend against that. But remember, people run out of gas in their cars, boats, and other motor vehicles. It's only planes that draw the news reporters into it.
Add landing on the wrong runway, taxiway, or even the wrong airport.
And to add to the list... They will get there in their airplane if they're careful.

Stupid pilot tricks. How does one defend against that. But remember, people run out of gas in their cars, boats, and other motor vehicles. It's only planes that draw the news reporters into it.
Add landing on the wrong runway, taxiway, or even the wrong airport.
And to add to the list... They will get there in their airplane if they're careful.

Like doing the approach and landing NORDO in a Luscomb to Oshkosh during the evening AirVenture rush and landing on 27 while there's a conga line of planes doing the 3-at-time landings on 9 and 36?

actually, the first definition for "mike" is: (informally) a microphone.

It does say, though, "also, mic.", so you do have that, I reckon. But "mike" for microphone is perfectly fine, thanks.

Of course, you can't check your breaks unless you have remembered to remove the chalks.

What, you think thats the only two things we spell wrong? Heck if you're in flash chat for two minutes, you're bound to see something! Hehe

I was never top speller in my class so sometimes I go with, "know what I mean, not what I say."

I pretty much agree with ya though.

actually, the first definition for "mike" is: (informally) a microphone.

It does say, though, "also, mic.", so you do have that, I reckon. But "mike" for microphone is perfectly fine, thanks.

I have to agree with that one, especially when it comes to using the plural. Mics looks stupid (and most people use the apostrophe [mic's] which is really dumb), and when I read it, I think it says MIKS. Singular, I use mic.... plural, mikes.
Just an opinion from your online audio professional.

What, you think thats the only two things we spell wrong? Heck if you're in flash chat for two minutes, you're bound to see something! Hehe

if I tpye as fast as I do in char it comse out olike this. there isnt't enoguhj time in chat to fdix asll the misatkes I make there

People use orientated all the time and it bugs me. It's ORIENTED. It's not a word irregardless of what they say. And that's another one!

People use orientated all the time and it bugs me. It's ORIENTED. It's not a word irregardless of what they say. And that's another one!
Does that mean an Asian who immigrated to the US is dis-oriented? :)

Ditto!

Although, if I recall... the standard dictionary in the spell checker here does not contain "gauge." It does have "gage."

I believe it was this one I modified. I'd have to start clean and look.

Mirriam Webster lists "gage" as a variant:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gauge

All of the Robinson POHs use "gage" and not "gauge".

Then, I hate to say it, but Webster has dumbed its dictionary down by using a commonly accepted misspelling as proper. Does the dictionary also have "ain't" in it?
Or, "dissed"... proof we have too many idiots deiding what is acceptable speech.

Why not add another definition for "blonde" to mean "female idiot." The one who allowed "dissed" to be added to the dictionary had to be blonde!

:rolleyes:

Or, "dissed"... proof we have too many idiots deiding what is acceptable speech.

Why not add another definition for "blonde" to mean "female idiot." The one who allowed "dissed" to be added to the dictionary had to be blonde!

:rolleyes:
Well, the dictionary was always sort of a wiki. It is supposed to represent how people actually use the language, not to be the static arbiter of what somebody thinks language should be. It can and should change to reflect actual usage. Dissed should be in. So should female idiot.

-Skip

Well, the dictionary was always sort of a wiki. It is supposed to represent how people actually use the language, not to be the static arbiter of what somebody thinks language should be. It can and should change to reflect actual usage. Dissed should be in. So should female idiot.

-Skip

Exactly. English hasn't always been as we use it today. It changes. It.... *looks around cautiously*.... evolves. :D

-Skip
Actually, I think it legitimizes the horrible use of language. To accept a verb to made from a noun as a result of its mere misuse by the poorly educated is just plain wrong.

Actually, I think it legitimizes the horrible use of language. To accept a verb to made from a noun as a result of its mere misuse by the poorly educated is just plain wrong.

A dictionary is a reference on words used in a language. It's not supposed to have

ain't -v. Sorry that's wrong. Definition is is not yours.

Although I dunno how they justify keeping most obscene words out. Prolly at some point the marketing department tells them they have to be able to sell the thing in schools and the Bible Belt.

Watching too much The Wire:

That's how dey do. Aight?... Be wit' you in a second, Shorty.

A dictionary is a reference on words used in a language. It's not supposed to have

ain't -v. Sorry that's wrong. Definition is is not yours.

Although I dunno how they justify keeping most obscene words out. Prolly at some point the marketing department tells them they have to be able to sell the thing in schools and the Bible Belt.

Watching too much The Wire:

That's how dey do. Aight?... Be wit' you in a second, Shorty.
Who you calling "Shorty", bozo?!?!? :)

I agree with your statement but most take the dictionary as the "gospel" on what is acceptable language. That being said, there are still numerous "non-broadcast worthy" words listed. Take a look and you'll find them.

I'd be happy if people would stop misusing the word "Democracy." I once heard a supposed school teacher calling into a talk show. She was asked if we had a Democracy in this country. Her response: "We're supposed to have one." :rolleyes:

Snap gages, feeler gages, deadweight gages (although the same manufacturer now uses "gauge" for the very same model pneumatic deadweight gage/gauge).

However, I always found myself calibrating bourdon-tube and digital pressure gauges using the deadweight gages.

I will always be grateful (not greatful) for Miss Ella Fanning, my eighth-grade English teacher: she taught, not only my older brother, but also the children who sailed to this great continent on the Mayflower. Her only quirk: "Children, let's get your assignment finished quicklike".

A pilot owns an airplane. He doesn't fly "their" airplane; he flies his airplane. If it turns out the pilot is a lady (but not a tramp), she flies her airplane. That one drives me nuts. I always need to see the caveman's therapist when I read or hear this gross error.:rolleyes:

A pilot owns an airplane. He doesn't fly "their" airplane; he flies his airplane. If it turns out the pilot is a lady (but not a tramp), she flies her airplane. That one drives me nuts. I always need to see the caveman's therapist when I read or hear this gross error.:rolleyes:
A pilot and her husband own an airplane. She flies their airplane! :):yes:

Back