I'm wondering if I had a really bad plan

WantToFlyMyAirplane

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WantToFlyMyAirplane
I have had my sport pilot certificate for almost 5 years now.

I was SO sick of renting, every nice flying weather weekend day or evening the airplanes were always booked.

So last month I purchased an airplane. It is a non LSA airplane and I figured it would be easy to use this airplane and easy to upgrade to a private pilot certificate.

I'm in my mid 50's, healthy, good eyesight, good blood pressure, no problems.

But yesterday I didn't pass my 3rd class medical exam. When I was younger I had trouble with frequent migraine headaches and I checked that on the application. The kicker is I have not had much trouble with them for years now, everyone said be honest and I was... Doctor said I need a "special issuance" for the headaches.

My questions are; how hard is getting a "special issuance" and how long does it take? Dr just said "you'll get something in the mail, do whatever it is asking".

And I'm almost ready to take the private written test, should I? Or should I wait until I get the medical special issuance?

I don't think I can even use the airplane for flight training yet to upgrade to private pilot. I think my insurance says I must have a medical certificate.

I'm sure these are stupid questions, I'm just mad at myself because I bought an airplane and it is just sitting because I didn't check all this out well enough in advance.

Call Dr. Chien. Do exactly as he says and your SI will go as quickly as possible, but expect 6-8 weeks. http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Have you called your insurance company to clarify? My guess is that they would not have a problem with having an instructor on board.

The AME saw "migraine" and had to send it in to FAA for them to make the decision, that's why it's a "special issuance". FAA will send you a letter explaining what they will require for them to issue and a timeline for you to respond. I don't know anything about the SI requirements for migraines. Sometimes, even if you had all the information ahead of time, the AME can issue but there are some cases where the AME can't and must defer to Oklahoma City.

From this link, it does appear the AME usually has to defer to FAA for the decision.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/ha/

This isn't as bad as it sounds. Get the SI, do whatever you have to do. The good news is you only have to do it once. After you get the 3rd class you can get the Basic Med. In the mean time, hire a CFI and do what you need to do to get the PPL. Don't worry, you did exactly the right thing. The medical is just a hiccup, it will go away. And welcome aboard!

This isn't as bad as it sounds. Get the SI, do whatever you have to do. The good news is you only have to do it once. After you get the 3rd class you can get the Basic Med. In the mean time, hire a CFI and do what you need to do to get the PPL. Don't worry, you did exactly the right thing. The medical is just a hiccup, it will go away. And welcome aboard!

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I was trying to gauge; if this was a big setback or not.

Last edited:
Just to expand on what @steingar said, there are a few conditions that are disqualifying even for BasicMed (and require a special issuance from the FAA), but migraine isn't one of them. The main thing is you need to have held a valid 3rd class once since July 16, 2006 and your last interaction with OKC can't have been a denial, withdrawal, or revocation of your medical. So once you have your 3rd class, you never have to do it again unless you want to fly internationally (e.g., to Canada) or something a LOT bigger and more capable than a small 2 or 4 seat piston airplane.

not knowing all the medical facts in this case i will not comment on the examiners decision to defer, but the worksheet for migraines is on line and really very clear as to when he/she has to defer and when he/she can issue. the biggest problem is there are AME that if certain boxes are checked they just defer rather than work through the worksheet. for those that have ANYTHING that might be a problem the first step before even thinking about setting an appointment with an AME is to look through this: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf its will give you the information that the AME will be looking for, a good place to start with when talking to your PCP before setting up a medical.

now that you have been deferred, I agree its time to at least send an email to dr chen and tell him everything. do exactly what he says, his fee is well worth it when trying to get through the deferral process.
bob

Anything involving the word "airplane" is a bad plan lol... but we only live once, which is why life is so great.

And don't worry you will get your SI..

good luck

Lesson to learn.... if anything is going on in your medical history that will cause you to answer YES to something on Question 18 of the 8500-8 form, do not officially apply until you fully understand what additional info and documentation is needed for the submission.

You didn't have a bad plan, but you *did* jump the gun a bit. You got things out if order. Should have gotten the medical first, then bought the plane. Not insurmountable but frustrating.

Back