I'm tellin' ya, this car will FLY if we get it up to 100!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
GIG HARBOR, Wash. - Two men are in hot water after taking a joyride on the runway of a Pierce County airport Saturday night.

A security guard at the airport says the Pontiac Grand Am must have been going at least 100 miles an hour down the runway.

"They drove their car to the south end of the runway. They then drove their car to the north end at an extremely high rate of speed," said Darlington.

That's when something went wrong and the driver lost control.

The car went flying off the tarmac, through a field for roughly 100 yards, then flew about 60 feet in the air, slammed into the side of a hill, and rolled to the bottom.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_052707WABairportjoyrideSW.16b13038.html
Darwin missed it by thatmuch.

Last edited:
Darwin missed it by thatmuch.
Idiots, indeed. Between the feds and local authorities, their gonna have a fun time with the legal system.

I do find it hilarious the police officer mentioning "speed" in the report is named "Darlington." :)

Maybe it was one of these.

Attachments

• ROTOBUGG.JPG
    ROTOBUGG.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 129
Idiots, indeed.

Holy Schmokes! KTIW is where I earned my PP-ASEL, did my first solo, etc. This is one airport you don't want to "go off the end" on. The southern end of the field is a sheer 300' drop down to a rock-lined beach (small).

Remember the films of the "Galloping Gertie" bridge? That's where this is... look at the sharp countour lines on this topo map at the south end of the airport. When you're landing north, with a strong wind, it can get very squirrely there.

That's horrible!!! Who would DO such a thing??? I would never, ever take my car on a FOD check. :D

BTDT. Didn't fly off the runway though.

BTW - a Dodge Dakota can break 100 on a 4500ft long runway.

Holy Schmokes! KTIW is where I earned my PP-ASEL, did my first solo, etc. This is one airport you don't want to "go off the end" on. The southern end of the field is a sheer 300' drop down to a rock-lined beach (small).

Remember the films of the "Galloping Gertie" bridge? That's where this is... look at the sharp countour lines on this topo map at the south end of the airport. When you're landing north, with a strong wind, it can get very squirrely there.

The north end has a pretty good drop off, too. Don't want to land short there.

you forgot to mention they had been drinking. also employees (line boys/pilots?) of the airport. you cant tell me that everyone here hasnt wanted to take their car out and see how fast it will go. heck, the cops used to drag the runway in Ames.

A 99 olds alero will easily hit 90 in well less than 5700 feet.

what chip doesnt mention is his Ted Williams like eyesight that allows him to see the FOD, and that his 190 mph porsche will stop in 100 feet. it is the perfect FOD check car.

you cant tell me that everyone here hasnt wanted to take their car out and see how fast it will go.
Car? No. Not even the couple of Porsches I've owned. BUT, I can tell you that it's no fun when you're riding your bike at 153 mph and still accelerating, and you hit a cloud of bugs, and you're wearing only sunglasses, shorts and sneakers.

I would never..ever do that kinda thing..B)

only because the sunfire will barely do 60

Back