Im stuffed.

You look so lifelike!!

I get off in 4 minutes. Hopefully there's still turkey left at my sister's house.

Since I live alone and could not get a rental to play in the clear sky today, I spent the day channel chasing old flicks, bad flicks and worse flicks.

I had no turkey but that box of frozen corndogs hit the spot after being nuked and covered with mustard. Tonight, it's... heck, I don't know yet. I'll raid the fridge when the time comes. At least I wasn't naive enough to think I could call up Dominoes like I attempted a few years ago.

Happy Turkey Butt Day! :goofy:

Ken

Our first thanksgiving at home (instead of going to parents), and I did all the cooking. Everything came out good so I've got the gig permanently now.
medium metzinger thanksgiving 2006.jpg
Hope everyone had a fine day in the company of those you love.

Phew can't eat another bite! But ask me again in a couple hours :)

1 turkey (unstuffed) from the smoker + 1 turkey (unstuffed) from the oven = 1 turkey fully stuffed at the keyboard right now...

gkainz said:
1 turkey (unstuffed) from the smoker + 1 turkey (unstuffed) from the oven = 1 turkey fully stuffed at the keyboard right now...
Never done a turkey in our smoker... what temp (225?) and for how long? Use a rub?

I brined it overnight in a solution of water and canning salt (2 gal water to 2 cups salt), added a quart of apple juice, some assorted spices; Stubbs Chili Lime rub, Old Bay Seasoning, rosemary (my recipes usually end up being "what's in the cupboard and what sounds like it might go well in here").

I smeared a coating of olive oil on it before smoking, turned and recoated every hour. 8 lb bird took 4 hrs at 225° to hit 160° in the breast. I used cherry wood for the 1st 2 hrs and mesquite for the 2nd two hours. Not planned that way, I ran out of cherry wood.

gkainz said:
I used cherry wood for the 1st 2 hrs and mesquite for the 2nd two hours. Not planned that way, I ran out of cherry wood.
A friend of mine gave me a big hunk of cherry wood, but my 30 year old Webber finally keeled over dead last spring. Gotta get a new one soon! I just haven't gotten the hang of slow cooking with gas.

I took Mom out to the neighborhood trendy gourmet place. I was happy that I was able to get a reservation by calling the minuet they opened. The dinner was OK, but per my usual luck they ran out of green beans with tons of garlic. I wondered why they gave us so few. It ended up being $100+ for the two of us.

We got leftovers but I gave them to her. I have no leftovers but my appetite is in turkey/mashed/cranberry mode.

Now I'm going to find a diner where I can get a turkey dinner.

I just happened to step on the scale at my parents' house before we left to go to my sister's for Thanksgiving dinner. When we got back I realized "hey, science project -- what does the scale say now?"

Big mistake.

I won't reveal the delta, but let's just say I didn't think it was possible for a person to eat that much at one meal.:eek:

-Rich

Haven't stepped back on the scale since Thanksgiving.

i have. im down 2 lbs from last thursday. Return to college style eating vs. home style eating is likely the culprit, plus i weighed myself AFTER lunch and supper with family.

tonycondon said:
i have. im down 2 lbs from last thursday. Return to college style eating vs. home style eating is likely the culprit, plus i weighed myself AFTER lunch and supper with family.
Tony's back on the All-Ramen plan.

nah i prefer easy mac. actually im on the "i dont have any groceries" plan. need to do that tonight. Highlight of the week was Leahs mom sent me a loaf of pumpkin bread, which helped out for a couple days. Roomate fed me extra Quesadillas last night, Leahs cooking tonight. Maybe I can make it all week. Ive used up most of my eggs and had a batch of Jell-O for desert last night.

tonycondon said:
nah i prefer easy mac. actually im on the "i dont have any groceries" plan. need to do that tonight. Highlight of the week was Leahs mom sent me a loaf of pumpkin bread, which helped out for a couple days. Roomate fed me extra Quesadillas last night, Leahs cooking tonight. Maybe I can make it all week. Ive used up most of my eggs and had a batch of Jell-O for desert last night.
It sounds like you've been declared persona no gratis at the Millionaire FBO.

I've just spotted this thread. I'm set, for a while, here at the homestead. Her majesty(former wife) arrived KFTL(Fort Lauderdale) > KPWM(Portland, ME) on Thanksgiving Day late afternoon. With the vagaries of airline travel it was difficult to make reservations at the old favorite spots; but I was able to reserve at Jameson Tavern, Freeport, to arrive about 45 minutes after her PWM arrival. Jameson Tavern was truly a tavern in the days of stagecoach(not kidding) travel. It's adjacent to L.L. Bean; and I think I'm correct in relating that Maine's statehood papers were signed in that building. We had planned to do the traditional T-Day home-feast on Saturday or Sunday. And so it was! She left on the 29th, before which time a lot of stuff got done. But: back to I'm stuffed.

Though I was aware of same, the following photo arrived by e-mail today and with the qualifying note:

"THE TWO ROWS ON THE RIGHT TOP OF THE FREEZER ARE COMPLETE MEALS.

THE ROW ON THE LEFT NEEDS MEAT..HAS 3 KINDS OF VEGETABLES PER CONTAINER."

It makes no mention of the large kettle of turkey soup in the bottom section for which I need to get more containers; or the rest of the best chili this side of Laredo.

The real killer, for which I had no response, occurred when a fellow came to get paid for a project he had done for me. She had known him when, in a prior career, he was a hair stylist. "How do you know each other," he had inquired.
"Oh, we used to be married. Then we didn't speak for 14 years after the divorce(her choice); Now we're best friends."

HR

Attachments

• Freezer Stocked.jpg
    Freezer Stocked.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5
3 thoughts, Harley:

Now I've seen everything. A guy snaps a pic of his open freezer and posts it on the 'net.

How amazingly organized your freezer is.

How wonderful to be a non entity. Even her hairdresser didn't know of your status with respect to her majesty.

3 thoughts, Harley:

Now I've seen everything. A guy snaps a pic of his open freezer and posts it on the 'net.

How amazingly organized your freezer is.

How wonderful to be a non entity. Even her hairdresser didn't know of your status with respect to her majesty.

a. She took the pic, then e-mailed it to me from Florida.

b. ..and I'm wondering what the blazes I'll do with all those plastic food containers -- once they're emptied -- we bought at Target. Buy her another ticket to come and refill them?

c. She, having lived in Atlanta(Lawrenceville) / North Hollywood, FL / Lauderdale Lake, FL for 20 years, hadn't seen Greg in that length of time.

......... and that's not Greg, behind her. B)

HR

Attachments

• VAO LgtHse Museum2.jpg
    VAO LgtHse Museum2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 9
Back