I'm Planning an IFR Adventure - Suggestions??

dougwells

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Wells
I'm currently teaching an IFR student who is doing quite well. Her husband is IFR rated but not current. They have asked me to plan a 4 or 5 day IFR trip to give them both real world IFR experience prior to the week before my student takes her checkride. They will both be on the trip and the goal is to fine tune the wife's IFR skills for the checkride and to give the husband an IPC.

I'd love folks thoughts on some interesting airports/routes to fly for this type of trip. We will depart from Salt Lake City. My initial thoughts are to fly northwest towards Seattle, then down the coast to LA Basin, west towards Palm Springs or Phoenix and back up towards Salt Lake City.

Any suggestions on airports, routes, or areas that I should really try to get exposure to? We will be looking for actual IMC when able....Any areas we should avoid?

The airplane is a turbocharged retractable gear Saratoga with oxygen so MEAs are not an issue. Based on my student's current schedule and progress, I am guessing that the trip will be in late April or early May. We could extend the trip by a day or two if needed to fit everything in..

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Doug Wells
U42, Salt Lake City
CFII, MEI, ATP

Doug,

Even in April and May there should be ample opportunities for actual IMC up here in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. I'm working on my IR and had to cancel three times last week because ceilings were so low we couldn't guarantee we could get back into OLM (and we have an ILS). Then there's the concern with ice. Watch the freezing levels. That wet stuff comes barreling in off the Pacific and has to rise to get over the Cascades. Ice machine like few others. But, this is beautiful country and if it's clear, they'll love the views (when they're not wearing foggles :D ).

Find out the sorts of areas the student and her husband wish to fly to, and go to those areas with a couple of other things thrown in there. Try to get them set up for at least one real missed approach (if possible), but make sure they don't know it's going to be one. A non-precision approach that ends up being missed and then head in for an ILS elsewhere to get in.

I'd wonder (not being familiar with the area) that although MEAs might not be an issue, ice may still be that time of year, but I'm sure you know that and know to be careful of it.

Fly to the WingsFlyBQ the weekend of May 14 at KLOM. It Will be a TRUE cross country and you will get to meet a bunch of us:D

Too funny! Husband / wife team comment......yeah I thought about that long and hard. Maybe I need to do a trial run with them somewhere local. Have the wife fly a few approaches and then the husband. See how it goes. Good advice! :yesnod:

Scott - thanks for your words of advice from your experience with similar trips. I did not know you were an active CFII .....what a great opportunity for your students. I bet they are weather wizards as well as polished pilots. I am a big fan of your work. Thanks for all you do for this board and for the broader GA community.

Doug

Back