I'm not sure what to say...

Well if the description of the events leading to this off airport landing are correct, I'd say, 'Good Job!'.

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots...

Video reminds me of someone I knew who liked to chase gators in Florida

I expected a tree or bird strike not an engine issue to be his downfall

I took a "bush flying" course up in Alaska. It mostly consisted of flying PA-20s 100-150' agl along rivers, landing on and taking off from gravel bars and primitive back country strips. It looked very much like the kind of flying posted in the video.

And, ....its a heck of a lot of fun!

What’s he doing around 7:30 - 8:00? Skidding turn at slow speed? That really bothers me. The rest, not as much.

First, remind me never ever to get into an airplane with a fellow who wears an aviators hat with goggles to fly en enclosed aircraft. Reminds me of the guys who wear military flight suits to fly old taildraggers.

Second, I've always said that flying videos are usually really boring unless they're doing something immoral, illegal, or just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Hmmm…. C’mon, I’d have freezed to death. And thank gawd he gave me a old flight suit ‘cause I didn’t bring enough to keep me warm…

Helena to Chicago in October.

Hehe, a bud came and picked me up in a Varga (enclosed), of course I had to wear the hat, goggles and flight suit. Only headphones I had, and no where to stash the suit… can’t find the pic.

EB13F8AF-AE32-4BB2-9ADE-1F38D0690C73.jpeg

Flight suits are actually great. Anyone that hates on them can be safely ignored. It doesn’t make you a wannabe to appreciate garb designed for flying.

Edited to add: We sometimes fly long photo missions in wintertime conditions. I've become very partial to throwing a flight suit over everything else I'm wearing and find it both comfortable and useful, especially to have easily accessible pockets when you are wearing multiple layers and get a bit stiff mobility wise. If you fly older planes and want to keep your presentable clothes nice, it can also save you from dirt and grease, not to mention that there are benefits to Nomex if you ever have an accident. I by no means wear a flight suit on every flight, but when I was flying some with CAF, it was required, and it can grow on you.

Last edited:
What’s he doing around 7:30 - 8:00? Skidding turn at slow speed? That really bothers me. The rest, not as much.
Yeah, skidding is stupid. But so is extended low flying. The chances of colliding with a big bird are far higher doing that, and sooner or later one of those tree branches is going to snag you. And if the engine suddenly quits, what are your options?

To say nothing of unmarked powerline crossings. Or an airplane coming the other way...

Back