kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hey all,

I landed a sweet job in Alaska! (Asst. Professor at UA Anchorage)

Now there's so much to start thinking about. So many choices to make. House or apartment? Super Cub or Cessna 185? Floats, wheels, skis, or amphibian?

:D :D
--Kath

Congratulations, Professor! :)
Definitely go for the Cessna 170. It won't break the bank, and will get you in and out of places you would only look at from above...

Bruce Chien
Assistant Prof. of Medicine
Univ. of Illinois College of Medicine
Peoria, IL
CFIA-I-MEI :)

kath said:
Hey all,

Now there's so much to start thinking about. So many choices to make. House or apartment? Super Cub or Cessna 185? Floats, wheels, skis, or amphibian?

--Kath

Congratulations, Kath!! :dance:

170. Floats, wheels, and skis. Not all at the same time tho :)

kath said:
Hey Kath, that's great! Congratulations!

You'll have to let us know what it's like flying up there.

Congratulations! You'll love Anchorage. The saying when I was there was Anchorage was so nice because you had all the advantages of city life, and it is only a half hour drive to Alaska :)

I still miss it, and may well drag the family back someday. When I was there, buying cost about the same as renting. But I haven't been there since '92.

kath said:
Hey all,

--Kath

You can't go wrong with a C-185.
But it won't go the places the Super Cub will.

Hangars in Anchorage are scarce, to rare. You'll be lucky to find ramp space.

But try Eagle River, it's just north of Anchorage on the Glenn Hwy.

If you are serious about buying a taildragger buy it down here, and fly it up. the ones you find up there are very well used. If you get my meaning.

Your gonna have a great time. Lake Hood SPB will be a new expereince for you versus KBED and the Boston Metro. You'll want to really take a good look at the Part 93 rules for the area 'cause they're really important. Great places to visit, Chiloot Charlies, Humpy's, the Fancy Moose and of course the Alaska Aviation Hertitage Museaum. Enjoy!

kath said:
Hey all,

--Kath

That's excellent! You're going to have soooo much fun.

How about a 170B? If you're clever and patient, you can have the option for floats in the summer, wheels in the off season, skis in the winter... :dance:

A house with a little land would be excellent. Park your plane in the front yard. :D

Have Fun, Kath....

Alaska is the only state I've not yet visited.

kath said:
Hey all,

--Kath

Cambridge to Alaska ? The shock could kill you...

Did a bunch of filming up there in November for mountainflyingvideos.com and it sure looks like AMPHIB country to me.
Something light & powerful on Full Lotus amphibs should be perfect.

BTW; What do you teach ?

That's very cool Katherine. Should be a great experience! Remember if you fly, drive or hike in the bush you are mandated to carry a firearm for protection. Just like MA! :) (yeah right)

Many carry 12 gauges or .44 Magnums. I'm not kidding.

Dave Krall CFII said:
BTW; What do you teach ?

I'll be teaching physics, and doing astrophysics research too.

We drove past Merrill Field during my "tour of the town", where there are hundreds and hundreds of high-wing taildraggers parked, as far as the eye could see it seemed! Those who are not pilots themselves, have at least one "crazy friend" who is one.

Glad I've got a little money saved... it looks like I'll have to buy a house, a car, and a plane, all at the same time. :) And a new wardrobe... and a dog. Everyone in Alaska has a dog I think.

--Kath

kath said:
Glad I've got a little money saved... it looks like I'll have to buy a house, a car, and a plane, all at the same time. :) And a new wardrobe... and a dog. Everyone in Alaska has a dog I think.

--Kath
My mother in law is a top Samoyed breeder ...

kath said:
Hey all,

--Kath

If I were going to AK this is what I would take

NC19143 said:
If I were going to AK this is what I would take
Errr.... educate me! What is that?

--Kath

Have fun in Alaska. We went there on vacation last summer. Did some time in a small Cessna on tundra tires. It is a spectacular place to fly.

If you decide on a float plane, the average time on the waiting list at Lake Hood sea plane base is twenty YEARS. (It used to be 32 years but they stopped letting people pass them down to their children.)

kath said:
Errr.... educate me! What is that?

--Kath

NOORDUYN NORSEMAN

A very limited production Bush aircraft often said to be a beaver on steroids.

Beavers have 450 horse P&W 985. the Noordy has the 1340 AN-1 rated 600 horse, which allows a much shorter take off.

Rag and tube construction, makes it easy to repair.

The Pictures came from the Ad on Barnstormers.com, but it is no longer advertised, so I presume it was sold. It was advertised at $325k

I bought one in 1957 for $2500, and worked it 2 summers in Ak, and sold it for 5k. I laughed all the way to the bank, - Waaaa

If you can't find a noordy try one of these.
#1 Allied Groceries Beaver
#2 Coasties Otter (naval Aviation Museum)
#3 an old $2500 Noordy and a stupid kid.

Last edited:
Tom, she's going to be an Assistant Professor. She has to have enough left to EAT!

bbchien said:
Tom, she's going to be an Assistant Professor. She has to have enough left to EAT!

Did you notice the 23 GALLONS of oil?

The C-185 isn't cheap good ones start at $100K
Good Supper cubs are $70K and up.
180 horse C-170s are 65 or higher.

But you can have a lot of fun in one of these

NC19143 said:
Did you notice the 23 GALLONS of oil?

YES.

The C-185 isn't cheap good ones start at $100K
Good Supper cubs are $70K and up.
180 horse C-170s are 65 or higher.

Everything that is anything is going to cost $70. I suspect Kath will buy a house first.

kath said:
I'll be teaching physics, and doing astrophysics research too.

We drove past Merrill Field during my "tour of the town", where there are hundreds and hundreds of high-wing taildraggers parked, as far as the eye could see it seemed! Those who are not pilots themselves, have at least one "crazy friend" who is one.

--Kath

Have been watching the Iditarod AK race on OLN this weekend.

One of the comments was that, "If a gal goes to Alaska, the odds are good she'll meet men, but the goods are odd..." <G> Couldn't resist

Dave Krall CFII said:
the odds are good she'll meet men, but the goods are odd..."
Funny, I've heard that one at most of the places I've ever worked. :)

Yeah, I'll probably buy a house first. And a beater car. With aircraft, I think I'd better start with partnership or a club...

--Kath

Dave Krall CFII said:

One of the comments was that, "If a gal goes to Alaska, the odds are good she'll meet men, but the goods are odd..." <G> Couldn't resist

Suggested references:

Fashion Means Your Fur Hat Is Dead: A Guide to Good Manners and Social Survival in Alaska by Mike Doogan

Catch and Release: The Insiders' Guide to Alaska Men by Jane Haigh, Kelley Hegarty Lammers, and Patricia Walsh

:)

"I think I'd better start with partnership or a club..."

If I might make a reccommendation.

Get some back country/ cold weather experience before you go out on your own, or buy an aircraft.

You may decide that you want some thing like a Maule, or ? Cheaper? Stinson 108-3

When you start shopping let me know, I usually know of several aircraft that the owners are not advertising that can be bought.

There is a honey of a deal on E-bay now, for a PA-18-150 that needs a recover/engine overhaul.

Tom D. A&P

NC19143 said:

I've been trying to think (can't) of a way to delicately say, "Wouldn't really want to be flying around regularly in a Commie aircraft" regarding the otherwise quite respectable Anotov II. Guess one could consider those planes the spoils of the Cold War if one really wanted one ?

Plus, there used to be some FAA restriction on flight 50 miles from base for AN2s imported during a certain time frame.

My cousing lives in Kenai AK says it is absolutly beautiful. He has flow into the bush on several occasions and says its a hoot. He only has two warnings about AK 1) Moose are very big and can get very mean (No bullwinkle here)
2) The only thing bigger than the moose are the mosquitos.

Have a blast!!

Dave Krall CFII said:
I've been trying to think (can't) of a way to delicately say, "Wouldn't really want to be flying around regularly in a Commie aircraft" regarding the otherwise quite respectable Anotov II. Guess one could consider those planes the spoils of the Cold War if one really wanted one ?

Plus, there used to be some FAA restriction on flight 50 miles from base for AN2s imported during a certain time frame.

That is why this one is so cheap.. no N number, No airworthiness certificate.

NC19143 said:
That is why this one is so cheap.. no N number, No airworthiness certificate.

There's always been 3 or 4 AN2s over at Auburn WA (and they fly !) but I've never gotten the full scoop on REGs ...that 50 mile radius thing. I'll check when I see somebody out by them.

Dave Krall CFII said:
There's always been 3 or 4 AN2s over at Auburn WA (and they fly !) but I've never gotten the full scoop on REGs ...that 50 mile radius thing. I'll check when I see somebody out by them.

Thoes aircraft were imported and licensed before the moritoriun was inflicted by the FAA. they all have normal catagory airworthiness certificates.

The "Big Bubinski", was designed by Russia, but built in Poland by PZL. There are very few aircraft that will haul the loads out of short strips like the AN2 can.

But of course you must feed those 1000 horses.

Back