I'm looking for another project..

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I would like to restore an aircraft for some one, or build a kit, or build any aircraft from plans.

all parts and or kits are on your CC $, and my usual hourly wage is negotiable, but pay days are friday each week.

got a dream aircraft that you want built ?

I've always wanted a Fairchild F-24 with a cabin suitable for a full-grown man. Seen any of those around?

I've always wanted a Fairchild F-24 with a cabin suitable for a full-grown man. Seen any of those around?

Yes the F-24 cabin will take a full grown man, as long as that full grown man isn't over 6' & 250 #

OBTW, this isn't about me selling the 24, it's about me finding another project.

I have a nice heated hangar, and need a way to support it.

I wish I could afford your offer. I hope you find a taker and post lots of construction pictures!

-Jim

Im looking for a project plane also to support the hangar I just rented, lol. Did you sell your last project?

Why does that matter?

Depends. Some FSDO's have been enforcing the 51% rule in order to keep the aircraft "amateur built" as the original intent of the regulation.

Boils down to whose name winds up on the airworthiness, if the owner wants the credit and also the repairman certificate on that airframe.

I don't see a problem with an owner working under the supervision of an experienced builder or mechanic, but that owner must be involved with the build other than writing checks.

My dad may be interested in something like that.. His time frame is more like 6 months to a year. He is interested in a cirrus or diamond but I'm trying to convince him that he could have much more airplane (and have something cool) by buying an older bird and doing a full restoration than by purchasing a few years old cirrus

Depends. Some FSDO's have been enforcing the 51% rule in order to keep the aircraft "amateur built" as the original intent of the regulation.

Boils down to whose name winds up on the airworthiness, if the owner wants the credit and also the repairman certificate on that airframe.

I don't see a problem with an owner working under the supervision of an experienced builder or mechanic, but that owner must be involved with the build other than writing checks.

Two things ......
My next project does not have to be an EXP. But if it is, I can build any aircraft you like, But the rights of first refusal will cost about half the cost of the aircraft, or the price of a kit, which ever is higher, then we have a nice payment plan for the new aircraft that we can discuss.

plus I can restore almost any aircraft that will fit in my hangar. with out ever contacting the FAA.

I hope you find an old bird worthy of restoration, Tom. I love restoring old things, and wish I had the time and skills to do so for airplanes. You do, and I wish you luck.

Two things ......
My next project does not have to be an EXP. But if it is, I can build any aircraft you like, But the rights of first refusal will cost about half the cost of the aircraft, or the price of a kit, which ever is higher, then we have a nice payment plan for the new aircraft that we can discuss.

plus I can restore almost any aircraft that will fit in my hangar. with out ever contacting the FAA.

You've already been dumb enough to offer your services, at an hourly rate, on the internet twice. That's commercial assistance and makes the aircraft you build under such an agreement ineligible for AB status.

As such, you'll be screwing your customer.

No objections about the restoration stuff.

I would like to restore an aircraft for some one, or build a kit, or build any aircraft from plans.

all parts and or kits are on your CC $, and my usual hourly wage is negotiable, but pay days are friday each week.

got a dream aircraft that you want built ?

You've already been dumb enough to offer your services, at an hourly rate, on the internet twice. That's commercial assistance and makes the aircraft you build under such an agreement ineligible for AB status.

As such, you'll be screwing your customer.

No objections about the restoration stuff.

When I build an aircraft just like you want, on a promise you'll buy it when it is done. means just that, it is done when the airworthiness certificate is applied. That means I must build it, register it in my name and sell you a used EXP aircraft, with a bill of sale, to transfer it to your name.
You can start paying for it at any time.

When I build an aircraft just like you want, on a promise you'll buy it when it is done. means just that, it is done when the airworthiness certificate is applied. That means I must build it, register it in my name and sell you a used EXP aircraft, with a bill of sale, to transfer it to your name.
You can start paying for it at any time.

And if I decide not to pay???

...and I hope you find a project where the amateur builder has done 51% already...

I think there is some confusion here about the 51% rule. First, the kit now must qualify as 51% amateur built kit. Any one can build a kit to any degree and sell it for any reason. This happens all the time. Guys buy kits and start them and sell them for many reasons or they pass away in the middle of the build. There are others that hire people to build planes and assist buyers to any degree. Are there abuses? Yes, but few and far between. The vast majority of EAB builders adhere to the rules.

FSDOs that selectively enforce rules of their own can be taken to task and shown the "error of their ways". The EAA legal department can assist in quoting chapter and verse. I had a FSDO inspector repremanded for "going over the line" when he tried to keep an airplane I built from being registered E-LSA. I don't have trouble with him any more. ;)

And if I decide not to pay???

If you decide not to pay you would loose all of the money you paid in during the build. The customer buys the kits and parts and pays monthly for hours worked. That's how most builder I know do it.

If you decide not to pay you would loose all of the money you paid in during the build. The customer buys the kits and parts and pays monthly for hours worked. That's how most builder I know do it.
I wonder what the percentage is, of the partners that one buys the stuff the other does the work? and the FAA gives each the repairman's certificate ?

I build parts for home builders all the time, weld this to that, turn this shaft down to fit this, sorta stuff.

I saw a 195 on Barnstormer that is owned by a local (TX) guy but evidently stored somewhere in WA. Thought about it briefly, thinking it might be worthwhile for an easy project but don't think it's worth the price considering the hassle. Check out the ad and let me know what you think. It's the red and white airplane.

I saw a 195 on Barnstormer that is owned by a local (TX) guy but evidently stored somewhere in WA. Thought about it briefly, thinking it might be worthwhile for an easy project but don't think it's worth the price considering the hassle. Check out the ad and let me know what you think. It's the red and white airplane.

I saw that, it is very high on my list, wana bank roll it

1. I think this sounds like a great opportunity for someone who needs and appreciates what you can do, Tom. We've seen the exceptional skill you brought to bear in making the Fairchild a better-than-new airplane.

2. Guys - jump all over the 195! Wayne, spend some of that mountain of cash you're siting on top of, before some chucklehead in Washington decides its really their money and not yours. Then, I can bum a ride in a 195 with you.

1. I think this sounds like a great opportunity for someone who needs and appreciates what you can do, Tom. We've seen the exceptional skill you brought to bear in making the Fairchild a better-than-new airplane.

2. Guys - jump all over the 195! Wayne, spend some of that mountain of cash you're siting on top of, before some chucklehead in Washington DC decides its really their money and not yours. Then, I can bum a ride in a 195 with you.

FTFY. But some body would have to teach Wayne to fly it.

I wonder what the percentage is, of the partners that one buys the stuff the other does the work? and the FAA gives each the repairman's certificate ?

I build parts for home builders all the time, weld this to that, turn this shaft down to fit this, sorta stuff.

The repairsman's certificate is only required to sign off the annual condition insoection. It is not needed to perform repairs or maintenance. If you do not have a repairmen's certificate all you need is an A&P to sign off the anual condition inspection. Anyone can work on any experimental and perform any repair or alteration. Wheather they should or not is another story. ;)

The goal of homebuilding is education. Learning about the building process, materials, hand tools, power tools, etc. It is a never ending learning process filled with ups and many challenges or "opportunities" . Sometimes, the best education is learning about yourself in the process.

Last edited:
The repairsman's certificate is only required to sign off the annual condition insoection. It is not needed to perform repairs or maintenance. If you do not have a repairmen's certificate all you need is an A&P to sign off the anual condition inspection. Anyone can work on any experimental and perform any repair or alteration. Wheather they should or not is another story. ;)

The goal of homebuilding is education. Learning about the building process, materials, hand tools, power tools, etc. It is a never ending learning process filled with ups and many challenges or "opportunities" . Sometimes, the best education is learning about yourself in the process.
I will need neither. Tom-D A&P-IA, machinist, Certified welder, both pipe and plate to nuky boiler requirements, and Navy master engine builder.
Over educated under employed.

Last edited:

The FAA only awards one Repairman Certificate per homebuilt. If there is more than one builder, they have to decide which is the majority builder.

At some point, the owner has to submit an affidavit that the airplane was built for education or recreation. The Feds allow some for-hire outside work, but if large amounts of money were paid for the fundamental construction of the plane, they may not accept the affidavit. In which case, the owner's options are limited.

Ron Wanttaja

Ooohh. That would be interesting. I wonder what sort of range one could get with a turboprop on that Velocity. I would assume any weight savings would need to be replaced by extra tankage...

I think the biggest benefit would be how much you could shorten up the landing distance with a prop that could go into beta....

I like both your project choices.

Maybe I'd be able to afford Wayne's 180 when the 195 is ready to go :).

The FAA only awards one Repairman Certificate per homebuilt. If there is more than one builder, they have to decide which is the majority builder.

At some point, the owner has to submit an affidavit that the airplane was built for education or recreation. The Feds allow some for-hire outside work, but if large amounts of money were paid for the fundamental construction of the plane, they may not accept the affidavit. In which case, the owner's options are limited.

Ron Wanttaja
I know of 2 RVs that were built by partners and both are on the registration as co-owners and both have a repairman's certificate,

Ron Wanttaja
I know of 2 RVs that were built by partners and both are on the registration as co-owners and both have a repairman's certificate, When I build a EXP aircraft it will be registered in my name and bought as a used aircraft from me, and the title transferred to the new owner who has paid as agreed. You can buy any aircraft on the market on a time payment plan, it matters not when the payments start.

It's simply a matter of how you lay the paper trail.

If what Tom builds is a turd, I'll gladly endure the stench.

What's that saying about arguing with a pig? Perfume or not....

As I have said before, an ex-FAA inspector, now an A&P/IA friend who does exactly what Tom is saying. Exclusively. I know one other A&P/IA who occasionally does the same.

Last edited:
Back