I'm in the paper

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
A few weeks ago, I did an interview with a reporter for the City Pages weekly newspaper in the Twin Cities. They were originally interested because of the story on my airplane in Wired Magazine's blog.

Their article is now online, and will appear in the print edition that hits the stands tomorrow. As if that wasn't enough, there's also a blog entry by the reporter with more pictures and a video of bits from our flight, and a slideshow of pictures they didn't use in the article.

I'm quite happy with the story and the rest of it. It's more in-depth than the typical story on the Tron Guy. Check it out.

I've always liked this:

or this one

mikea said:
Kudos to you. I don't think I could stand the snark.
I can take a lot of crap. But I'm not sure I can take that much.. Although--maybe if they paid me enough....maybe..probably not.

Last edited:
I don't have to think, I KNOW I couldn't take that much crap.

Thanks for sharing, Jay! That's a well-written article, and it's nice to see that they finally wrote something that wasn't mocking.

Man, great article Jay! Except for the part where they described your plane as "blue and white"... it's the Tron green!

I definitely couldn't take that much crap... kudos to you for being who you are and not caring about what anyone else thinks.

I'm used to the Fark-style comments. I quit worrying about what that kind of person thought about me very shortly after the whole costume thing broke across the net. I do find some of them amusing (like the guy who suggested that I need therapy because I'm obviously letting my costuming run my life), but it's mainly just boring - the same old snark over and over, from folks who'd fold up under half the pressure.

The Jimmy Kimmel Live! stuff, OTOH, was a lot of fun. It was all about making funny TV, and once I learned to disconnect my sense of self from what we were doing for the show, I really loved doing it. If they called me back, I'd go.

Except for the part where they described your plane as "blue and white"... it's the Tron green!
Yeah. Heck, he's seen it and gotten pictures, so he should know better...but aside from that and misspelling Orvan Ox, they did a great job with getting the story right.

"there is no such thing as bad publicity" attributed to Bela Lugosi as word of his entrance into a methadone clinic broke in the Hollywood media.

That was a pretty good writeup! And you're a stronger person than I to take all that cr@p they had at Fark.

I'm used to the Fark-style comments. I quit worrying about what that kind of person thought about me very shortly after the whole costume thing broke across the net. I do find some of them amusing (like the guy who suggested that I need therapy because I'm obviously letting my costuming run my life), but it's mainly just boring - the same old snark over and over, from folks who'd fold up under half the pressure.

The Jimmy Kimmel Live! stuff, OTOH, was a lot of fun. It was all about making funny TV, and once I learned to disconnect my sense of self from what we were doing for the show, I really loved doing it. If they called me back, I'd go.

Jay,

You've handled yourself with poise and dignity, despite attempts to bait you to behave otherwise.

Well done, sir.

Man, that's a lot crap to take.

Kudos to you, and nice job on turning around negative publicity into a positive.

I always find reading fark style comments so depressing, I always feel, "are there really this many stupid and mean people in the world?" I used to assume that most people are basically decent, and basically intelligent. Wading through endless comments on fark and other boards of that style, really changes that for me.

It's still a really cool plane, and a pretty positive article for GA. Nice.;)

I always find reading fark style comments so depressing, I always feel, "are there really this many stupid and mean people in the world?" I used to assume that most people are basically decent, and basically intelligent. Wading through endless comments on fark and other boards of that style, really changes that for me.

I've noticed that most of the people who make those kinds of comments are the ones who, themselves, are probably most deserving of being made fun of, and have no confidence of their own. So, they decide to take it out on others who actually have the guts to go do something that most of us wouldn't.

The people out there who are good are generally the folks you don't hear much about. In my experiences, people are generally good. It's just the few that are bad who speak with a louder voice to ensure the rest of us hear them.

I've noticed that most of the people who make those kinds of comments are the ones who, themselves, are probably most deserving of being made fun of, and have no confidence of their own. So, they decide to take it out on others who actually have the guts to go do something that most of us wouldn't.
Coming to this realization was one thing that really helped me get past the negativity. Ironically, the media attention - even though a lot of it was aimed at playing "let's make fun of the geek" - was the biggest driver in that.

Jay,

That's a great article. Not at all like some stuff that gets printed. And that plane looks great.

Jay, looks like you got a little sun on your face there. Bubble canopy, huh?

Jay, I was saying on another board that you are one of those very rare folks who is truly comfortable in his own skin - I admire ya for that, brother. :yes:

This one's avatar material right here, Jay:

edit: fixed

Attachments

• tron.jpg
    tron.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This one's avatar material right here, Jay:
That's picture number 5 in the studio outtakes series, for folks who can't see it on this page...I suggest you edit your message so folks can go see it (they'll have to clear their cache and maybe restart their browser so long as it's linked from outside the City Pages site).

Picture number 8 in that series was used for the cover of the paper.

Last edited:
Back