I'm hoping to fly tomorrow - winter weather blues

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I haven't flown my 182 since November 4th. Between business trips, my wife having foot surgery, & me having pneumonia it hasn't happened. We've also had several feet of snow, which is rare for our area.

I checked on my airplane this afternoon & talked the airport owner to push the snow bank away from my hangar. So tomorrow might be the day. My wife is quite excited to go up too.

The good news is that I have been flying. I've done some instruction & flight reviews so I am passenger legal.

Now if the wx will cooperate.

I managed to get out for a couple of hours the other day, before the weather closed in again.
Just in the nick of time, too. I was starting to get a little crazy.

Well, the old 182 flew today!

I had to shovel a bunch of snow from in front of the hangar. Since it was a bit icy, I chocked the tires before starting in case the tires slid. I haven't spun the prop since November 4th, haven't had it on a battery charger, & since the airplane is relatively new to me...I wasn't sure it it would even start. Ambient temp was 38F.

I primed it 4 times & the old girl didn't even make one revolution of the prop when the 0-470 jumped to life. Those Concorde batteries are amazing.

After it idled a few minutes, I shut it down, did a preflight, & me & my wife climbed aboard.

I flew around while my wife took aerial photos of some vineyards & wineries. We then flew to the big airport KALW for a couple of touch & goes so I'd be good to carry passengers for another 90 days.

It was a great flight, the air was smooth, & we both had a great time.

I've had this 182 since July. I haven't had one issue with it. I think I bought a good airplane.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6997.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpg.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Fog and low ceilings in lower Michigan today... :( We hope to be ale to do some touch & gos tomorrow to prepare the plane for the oil change. Temps were in the high 40's today!! o_O

Fog and low ceilings in lower Michigan today... :( We hope to be ale to do some touch & gos tomorrow to prepare the plane for the oil change. Temps were in the high 40's today!! o_O
We managed to get up for a lap on the west side Michigan this afternoon after a good airplane bath. Usually it's nicer over by you... We're thankful for every chance.

I had to shovel a bunch of snow from in front of the hangar. Since it was a bit icy, I chocked the tires before starting in case the tires slid. I haven't spun the prop since November 4th, haven't had it on a battery charger, & since the airplane is relatively new to me...I wasn't sure it it would even start. Ambient temp was 38F.

I primed it 4 times & the old girl didn't even make one revolution of the prop when the 0-470 jumped to life. Those Concorde batteries are amazing.

After it idled a few minutes, I shut it down, did a preflight, & me & my wife climbed aboard.

I flew around while my wife took aerial photos of some vineyards & wineries. We then flew to the big airport KALW for a couple of touch & goes so I'd be good to carry passengers for another 90 days.

I've had this 182 since July. I haven't had one issue with it. I think I bought a good airplane.

Cheers!
Glad you were able to go. I've been in the same boat - we bought in December and hardly get to go play.

But hold on a second...Is it better to drain the engine oil cold while all the moisture & contaminants are in the bottom of the oil pan or get it hot & mix all that crud back into the engine? Just asking...:popcorn:

But hold on a second...Is it better to drain the engine oil cold while all the moisture & contaminants are in the bottom of the oil pan or get it hot & mix all that crud back into the engine? Just asking...:popcorn:

Now that would have been a good one for a new thread! :D

I always have too. I was taught that way. My first oil/filter change on my new to me 182 was in October. The WX was crappy so I plugged in my oil pan heater & drained it after it sat all night heating up.

I wonder what the engine manufactures recommend?

I'll do some research.

Cheers!

I have found my 182 to be an excellent cold weather flyer. Climbs even better than usual (I got over 2000 FPM) from my SL airport at Vy the other day. Heat works well. And mine has a Tannis so starting it is EASY. Only trick is monitoring the carb temp to prevent icing. Mine has a Carb Temp Guage and I have to run my carb heat constantly at cold temps to keep it out of the yellow.

Good to hear you got to get up!

Back