I'm going to Disneyland! (This afternoon)

Tampico Trauma

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mauled Formerly known as Tampico Trauma
My princess turns 5 next week on the first day of school and we're taking her to Disneyland tomorrow....

Plan is to depart KMIT around 1600

Route is KMIT - GMN - DARTS - ITSME - KFUL

Uber to the Hilton Anaheim from there.

I'll start descending over BUR to get under the 4000' shelf.

Radios don't bother me, will pick up FF on departure and fly the grapevine at 6500'. I typically fly my Yuma/Palm Springs runs via DARTS/ITSME but am comfortable with the transition routes as well.

Any insights? Is KFUL my best choice for Disney?

Thanks!
Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Fullerton is a great choice for Disneyland visits. AFI may be able to comp you a night or two parking with a fuel purchase if they have room (I think overnight is normally $12/night in the transient parking in front of the terminal).

Your route is generally fine, but if you are VFR, I suggest offsetting to the north a bit by going to KIMMO then skirting along the ridge line more on the north end of the BUR Class C then direct to KEMT, then south to KFUL. DARTS is a *very* busy intersection, no need to go that far south there. Ideally, you want to be at about 3,000' over EMT, then a gradual descent into FUL to avoid nipping the edge of KEMTs airspace. You may or may not get FF all the way to KFUL, depends on the workload for the controllers on the arrivals to LAX. They've been better at keeping you on FF all the way lately, but no guarantees.

Departing out of FUL, in order to get FF and a squawk code on the ground (just tell ground that you'd like to get a squawk for FF for a departure to the north), you'll have to depart on a 120 heading then get vectored a bit to the south before they can turn you north (this is similar to our IFR departure procedure), in order to have the time needed to get a handoff to the LAX approach corridor controllers. If you don't mind the extra few minutes of flight time, the controllers do appreciate when you can do it this way. Otherwise, you can depart directly to the north, stay at 3,500 or below (don't skirt the bottom of the Class B), and pick up FF over KEMT.

Have fun at the house of mouse!

It does appear that KFUL is the closest...just watch for the 700-plus-ft radio antenna west of the field. Your daughter is going to love Disneyland!!

...memories. Lived there, once.

Fullerton is a great field, and a great town. Do watch out for that KFI antenna; it has eaten before...

Going to put a big star on the chart for that tower right now!

Have a great time buddy!

Any insights? Is KFUL my best choice for Disney?

Excellent choice. Father and son Griggs own AFI. It says self serve, but the Griggs send a lineman out to fuel you anyway. Ice water and popsicles were free the last few times I was there arriving in summer. Tower controllers are the best and will ask if "you're familiar" ... the runway is hard to spot, especially from the north. They'll offer vectors. There's a tall palm tree directly in front of the threshold of RWY 24. They have a noise abatement takeoff procedure for both directions with RWY 6 easier basically remain over the railroad tracks. Run up area for RWY 6 is marked, for 24 it is near the hangars on that end (not marked well last time I was there). If departing RWY 24 and get the turn 150 vector on departure, you'll go straight over Knotts Berry right after takeoff (kids love that). Catalina is only like 12-15 minutes from there at Tiger speeds (130 knots) and was $25 for landing fee there.

I do that flight all the time...just did that EXACT route Monday from GMN.

That can be some VERY busy airspace. From GMN if there is not much wind I hug the hills and stay just east of Burbank airspace direct EMT which will set you up to stay clear of the 2500' and 4000' Bravo shelves. Cross EMT mid field at 3500 and that will keep you out of their traffic then once clear of EMT Delta airspace (even though you are above it) you can descend direct FUL for most likely a right base to 24. That path will keep ya away from most of the other arrival and departing traffic of all the SoCal airports. DARTS is a major funnel point for all the IFR traffic. "El Monte at 3500' direct Fullerton" is also an easier way to communicate to SoCal your intentions when they ask and let them know you will be ducking under and around the Bravo.

Your route works but you will be crossing a bit more traffic. Your direction of flight should be 7500...which will give you a bit more clearance over GMN as well.

FUL is absolutely the best choice for Disneyland but is is hard to make out visually amongst the rest of the city. Did SNA a few times and regretted it over FUL.

A lot of folks like AFI, but there is also General Aviation who has taken great care of us...$10 overnight parking and one night waived with fuel purchase. Note when departing 24 the runup area is before the hangars, NOT at the end of the runway. I will also set up FF on the ground with the initial 120 heading restriction, but SoCal will usually turn you off that to where your need to go as soon as they establish radar contact. The 120 departure heading is set up so you don't run into LGB departures on climb out if there is a problem establishing contact with SoCal on departure.

Uber is all over that area.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=34.1962042645248,-118.44616698839965&chart=301&zoom=4&fpl= KMIT GMN KEMT KFUL

Last edited:
If you have time, please post your after-action. I'll be flying up from Carlsbad (CRQ) in a couple weeks with my son for a day trip, and I'm interested in the service at KFUL. Have fun!

Also, be sure to use either the Disneyland app (if it's available again) or Mousewait to help you get around the park and to see wait times for rides as you are deciding where to go next.

My wife has all the apps down!

So of course, we get out late due to family and work issues.

Departed MIT at 1630. Climbed to 7500 (Freudian slip earlier)...

My 4kt forecast tailwind was a 18kt headwind over the grapevine. Typical bump and grind over the 'vine. Handed off to SoCal and started my descent. 5500' over BUR then down to 3500 over EMT.

My first socal controller actually asked me if I was going Fullerton via El Monte...

I chose to fly over WHP and BUR rather than ride the valley over 210 because of the winds. Probably a good call.

Crossed EMT at 3500 and started down to 2000 after I cleared the pattern. SoCal asked me if I was familiar. He then gave me some pointers. I actually DID have the field in sight originally.

He held on to me until I was 100% sure and then tossed me to Tower who also confirmed the field in sight. It really does blend in with the industrial park.

Greased the landing, taxied off and switched to AFI's Unicom per tower's advice. No answer. Taxied up to their ramp... Made eye contact with their line guy who was too busy putting a 172 away to pay any attention to me.

After he unhooked the tug, I figured he'd point us to parking.... Nope, he walked back in. Called up General Aviation.

Was greeted with a friendly welcome by Mike the line guy... He told me to pull up to the fuel pump and he'd park it from there.

Went inside and met Martha, a charming young lady from WI working on her airport management degree and her dog Pepper, who my princess bonded with until the uber arrived...

15 minutes and $11.07 later, we ubered to the hotel and walked to dinner. Walked into Roy's from off the street and they seated us at the Chefs counter so we could see the kitchen...
61e1bdf39de38a56d3cdd45f95ca3740.jpg
5ba2170d496e8fb9bff386e3b61a4cdf.jpg

And when they found out she was a Masterchef and Chopped junkie, they let her come back in the kitchen and make her own desert.
c39284723cddd0d7de8be711df9b309b.jpg

These guys were top notch. Roy's Restaurant on Katella....

Back