I'm glad I didn't fly today

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I'm grounded per my prosthodontist (specialized dentist) so I was gonna' drive anyway.

I drove 5 hours to attend a wedding and take care of other personal business. I was snowed on, skidded on black ice, was nearly blown off the road several times, drove through 1/4 sm patchy fog, and witnessed wx phenomena I had not seen before in the areas I saw them. I-5 at Gorman was closed, all lanes, due to low snow & ice elevations. Commercial rigs by the hundreds were pulled to the side waiting it out. Smart fellers.

Traveling north on Hwy 101 just east of Santa Barbara I saw multiple rotor clouds forming in the lee of the hills north of KSBA. I've been in some terrible winds up there but never had I seen rotors in that area.

Further north I witnessed numerous waterspouts a couple miles offshore. 65-80 kts sfc winds certainly got my attention.

Otherwise, it was clear and a million reminescent of an Indian summer day.

Glad you had so much fun!!:D

Seriously, glad you didn't fly too.

I recall driving over the "grapevine" (is that what it's called, north of L.A.?) many, many years ago, xferring back from Bremerton, WA to Sandyeggo, CA. Strong north winds (a fellow lifted the hood on his Cadillac while facing north at a gas station--bad move), then as we were climbing the mountain north of the L.A. Basin, it was snowing, roads were white, BMWs Mercs, Porsches, Caddys were all over the place. CHP was closing the road right behind us! Meanwhile we just kept chugging along, not knowing that you couldn't drive in snow (from Missouri, didn't know better). Quite interesting.

Fly safe y'all, and remember: .04 or less!!

Happy and safe New Year,

Jim

Back