I'm fixing warbirds and bipes!!

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Got my A&P back in September and the day I got it, I left my contact info at a few places on the field. I really wanted to work at the museum, Wings Over Miami, Kermit Week's original museum. Got a call a few weeks ago from the mechanic there if I would like to cover for a week while someone else took vacation. "You bet!" Apparently he was happy with my work and has kept me on. Not there for the money though I do get paid.

Here is some of what I have been working on:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 166
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 164
That's awesome! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear John,

You Suck.

Love,
POA

Seriously though, that's awesome!

You hit the A&P jackpot! congrats

The one plane looks similar to the one Harrison Ford crashed on the golf course.

That's really cool. Congrats! Do you get to fly them too, once they're up? :D

The one plane looks similar to the one Harrison Ford crashed on the golf course.

"Came in last week from an undisclosed owner for full restoration " cough-cough:goofy:

The guy I'm working for seems to be the go-to guy for warbirds in South Florida. The T-6 is one he's done a lot of work on that recently sold. The ferry pilot had a few squawks that we needed to take care of. The other is a Ryan PT-22 that is flown regularly. We just did the annual inspection so that it could go to a show this weekend.

Regarding getting rides in any of these aircraft, that is something I obviously I'm not pushing at this early stage. The mechanic owns another beautifully-restored T-6 (he did the restoration) and a Decathlon, both of which live in the museum and are flown regularly.

Learn all you can as knowing how to work on radial engines and antique airplanes is becoming rare so you will be in demand down the road. I maintain and fly a friend's N3N and have owned a SNJ and worked on a variety of warbirds over the years. Also learn how to do nice fabric work and you will never hurt for any work. Don

That RYAN is a worthy sign off.. :) :)

That is so brick simple most of it is done by owners.

I'm talking about fine fabric work not the normal jobs I see from most shops. All seams, overlaps and tapes perfectly centered and straight. All tape edges sealed, no bubbles or wrinkles anywhere, etc. Yes fabric work is very simple but doing it right takes time and patience. Don

Back