ILS PRM & SOIA

We do but I've never gotten a real breakout.

I didn't see it mentioned, do you respond to a breakout call? You are receiving it on the secondary freq and can only transmit on the primary, do you let twr know you got the monitoring controller's instructions?

I didn't see it mentioned, do you respond to a breakout call? You are receiving it on the secondary freq and can only transmit on the primary, do you let twr know you got the monitoring controller's instructions?

AFAIK you receive the breakout on both frequencies. The monitor controller also broadcasts on the secondary freq in case the tower frequency is blocked by another aircraft's transmission. I would respond/read back the breakout instructions on tower frequency.

AFAIK you receive the breakout on both frequencies. The monitor controller also broadcasts on the secondary freq in case the tower frequency is blocked by another aircraft's transmission. I would respond/read back the breakout instructions on tower frequency.

Exactly, Jason. The TWR controller is transmitting on both freqs; the monitor controller can override on both freqs.

In the case of the one breakout I've done in real life, we were given the command on the primary freq by the tower controller, so we read it back like a normal missed approach direction. The breakout instruction also included "contact departure," so I suspect both controllers knew it was happening.

I think for me, personally, as there doesn't seem to be a clear description of what the pilots are supposed to say after a breakout, if I wasn't sure who issued it, or I knew it came from the monitor controller, I'd respond "Callsign is on the breakout," or something similar, and wait for them to tell me what to do/who to call next. That also leaves me free to do all my appropriate missed approach callouts and get the plane cleaned up.

Back