ILS or LOC RWY 5R Approach at IND

rhscholz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Motor Head
The approach plate for the ILS or LOC RWY 5R approach at Indianapolis International shows a localizer MDA of 1220 '. It also shows a "GOLSE FIX MINIMUM" for the same localizer approach of 1120 ' :

1. What is the meaning of these "Golse Fix Minimums"; i.e. why do they
even exist ?

2. Why would one NOT always use the lower MDA of the Golse Fix minimums when flying this localizer approach ?

3. If the aircraft has no ADF and no DME, radar is required. In this case, how can Golse be identified (the plan view shows no RADAR annotation
for Golse) ?

I am guessing that Golse fix is below local radar coverage, hence can only be identified by DME. Thus, if the aircraft is DME equipped, it would have to cross Golse at or above 1220 ', then descend to the MDA of 1120 '.
In the case of no ADF/DME the controller would identify the FAF (NURVE) for the pilot, then the pilot would descend to the MDA of 1220 '.

Is my guesssing correct ? I appreciate your comments, CFIIs and ATPs.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1112/00203IL5R.PDF

The approach plate for the ILS or LOC RWY 5R approach at Indianapolis International shows a localizer MDA of 1220 '. It also shows a "GOLSE FIX MINIMUM" for the same localizer approach of 1120 ' :

even exist ?

2. Why would one NOT always use the lower MDA of the Golse Fix minimums when flying this localizer approach ?

3. If the aircraft has no ADF and no DME, radar is required. In this case, how can Golse be identified (the plan view shows no RADAR annotation
for Golse) ?

I am guessing that Golse fix is below local radar coverage, hence can only be identified by DME. Thus, if the aircraft is DME equipped, it would have to cross Golse at or above 1220 ', then descend to the MDA of 1120 '.
In the case of no ADF/DME the controller would identify the FAF (NURVE) for the pilot, then the pilot would descend to the MDA of 1220 '.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1112/00203IL5R.PDF

1. GOLSE is a step down fix for the Localizer only approach. There must be an obstacle that prevents the MDA from being lower than 1220 MSL, but once past GOLSE, the obstacle is behind the aircraft and descent to 1120 MSL is safe and meets the TERPS 250 foot obstacle clearance requirement for this type of approach. Of course, if you don't have a DME to locate GOLSE as this is not available as a RADAR fix, then you are stuck with the 1220 MSL MDA.

2. You would if you could, but without DME, you can still perform the approach, but are restricted to the higher MDA.

3. The way I read it, an ADF is required independent of DME or RADAR as it is needed for navigation to the missed approach hold and for holding. In addition, DME or RADAR are required. If you have an IFR GPS, you can use it in Lieu of the ADF and DME. IF you don't have an ADF or a GPS that can be used in lieu of the ADF, you don't meet 91.205 equipment requirements for this approach. If, however, you have the ADF or GPS in lieu of the ADF, you can use RADAR as you suggest to identify NURVE and the timing table to determine the missed approach point and without the DME or GPS in lieu of the DME, the MDA would be 1220 MSL.

even exist ?

GOLSE is a DME fix, aircraft that can determine GOLSE can descend to the lower MDA once past GOLSE. Aircraft that cannot determine GOLSE must use the higher MDA.

Because one does not have DME.

3. If the aircraft has no ADF and no DME, radar is required. In this case, how can Golse be identified (the plan view shows no RADAR annotation for Golse) ?

It can't, GOLSE requires DME.

You are correct.

As is often the case, the Jeppesen chart is clearer than the AeroNav charts. Regarding the equipment requirements for this approach, it reads in part:

1. ADF required.
2. DME or RADAR required.

As is often the case, the Jeppesen chart is clearer than the AeroNav charts. Regarding the equipment requirements for this approach, it reads in part:

1. ADF required.
2. DME or RADAR required.

I don't see a difference.

John and Steven,

thank you very much for having taken the time and effort to look into this and explain this in detail, I very much appreciate this.
As John pointed out, the Jeppesen chart annotation is clearer : ADF is required to identify the missed approach hold, plus EITHER DME (MDA 1120 ') OR Radar (1220 ')

Back