ILS/LOC timing question:

Well obviously if broken out, I'm not initiating a missed approach... Being visual I'm probably not even looking at the GS anyways:)
Even after breaking out, I would continue monitoring the GS at least until I had the runway in sight, and possibly until I started the flare.

If you have a GPS, then load and monitor the approach there. Use the non-precision MAP on the GPS as your trigger to go missed if the GS goes out. It'll be more accurate than timing.

Even after breaking out, I would continue monitoring the GS at least until I had the runway in sight, and possibly until I started the flare.

Sure, unless there's a visual indicator next to the runway. Or it's not in sight yet. No need otherwise. At night it might be a good idea.

...What if you lose the GS and you're below the MDA for the LOC approach(very possible considering the MDA for a localizer approach can be significantly higher than an ILS' DA)? Now what? Level off and climb to the proper altitude for that segment? Have you been keeping track of the localizer segments while sliding down the glideslope so that if you do lose the GS, you know exactly where you're at? I bet you're lower than the LOC plate calls for...

And if this happens after the FAF without one of the specified visual references, then 91.175 requires you to execute an appropriate missed approach procedure.

Note, however, that before the FAP, if you intercept the glide slope prior to the last step down before the FAP, you need to monitor the step downs anyway, because you're expected to make sure you don't go below the step down altitudes. (I heard that a couple of airline pilots got busted for this on approach to LAX.)

Because breaking out does not necessarily guarantee that visibility ahead is adequate for obstacle avoidance.

Then your definition of breaking out, and my definition of breaking out are different. For me breaking out means instruments used for the approach will no longer be needed for any reason.

Sure, unless there's a visual indicator next to the runway. Or it's not in sight yet.
That's why I said "...at least until I had the runway in sight..."

No need otherwise.

I don't ever expect to be flying a transport category aircraft, but my impression is that when managing that much momentum, staying on the glide slope until starting the flare is a good idea.

At night it might be a good idea.

I agree.

Last edited:
Then your definition of breaking out, and my definition of breaking out are different. For me breaking out means instruments used for the approach will no longer be needed for any reason.

I guess mine would be when I'm no longer inside a cloud. I wonder what Fiveoboy's definition is.

Sometimes ceilings are ragged, sometimes one can see the ground without visibility being sufficient to see all the way to the airport, and as Fiveoboy pointed out, sometimes it's at night.

My definition would be the point where instruments aren't needed(visual approach), but your point about visibility and ragged ceilings causing you to break in and out is definitely valid.

Back