Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Too funny!!
Dan Ryan hot line a very wrong number

By Gerry Doyle
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 24, 2006

Six placards along the Dan Ryan Expressway gave a number that promised motorists information about alternate routes when parts of the roadway are closed next week for repair.

But because of two misprinted digits, callers on Thursday were offered a very different kind of service: phone sex.

"Exciting live talk is just moments away," a female voice says before directing the listener to another toll-free number whose contents are more explicit.

The goof was noticed by a project manager soon after the signs were put in place, IDOT spokesman Matt Vanover said.

By 2:30 p.m. Thursday, the illicit digits were covered up by a "patch" featuring the correct number: 877-411-4368, Vanover said

"It was a mistake that we made, and we apologize for anyone who called that number and got information that they weren't looking for," Vanover said.

As far as he knew, no numerical mistakes as dramatic as Thursday's had cropped up before, Vanover said.

"Occasionally, we'll have misspelled words, that type of stuff," he said. "Anytime that you have humans involved with a project, mistakes are bound to happen."

----------

gxdoyle@tribune.com

So - how many people, having read this article, have already tried to figure out which two digits got switched and are calling now? ;)

Greebo said:
So - how many people, having read this article, have already tried to figure out which two digits got switched and are calling now? ;)

And how many actually believe this was a good? (I picture a couple of Beavis and Butthead like dudes snickering in the corner)

Bill Jennings said:
And how many actually believe this was a good? (I picture a couple of Beavis and Butthead like dudes snickering in the corner)

I think IDOT is just trying to tell you that if you try to drive on the Dan Ryan any time in the next two years, you're f*cked. :mad:

Back