Illinois aircraft owners

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Anyone get their annual registration sticker yet?

I sent in my payment in November but no sticker. This is the first time it has taken this long.

So did I. But NEVER FEAR. We get to PAY THE TAX and wait for the vendor to get paid (about 18 months). This is even happening at the University of Illinois.....

So did I. But NEVER FEAR. We get to PAY THE TAX and wait for the vendor to get paid (about 18 months). This is even happening at the University of Illinois.....
Cash flow is even worse than just at the U of I. We just got our 2009 money that was supposed to be paid last April. Who knows when we will get our 2010 monies. One of the library systems ran out of cash in November and tried to get a line of credit from Harris bank, who they had worked with for over 20 years and were declined. Harris said they are not lending to anyone who is counting on state monies as it is too risky. :yikes:

I am watching our budgets just in case we have to freeze spending. We at least have a good cash on hand situation. Not all government agencies are as well positioned. This is affecting the whole state.

Wow, we got our stickers a month ago. Michigan might have the worst economy, a million jobs lost,schools being shut down, goverment workers being laid off or gov.worker's working but not getting paid,estimated recovery to the previous best level 25 years :blush::blush::blush: ,but at least we got sticker's.:rolleyes:

What is this sticker you speak of? Pennsylvania has no such sticker.

Ironically, my plane does have an Illinois registration sticker on it. I guess it used to live there.

What is this sticker you speak of? Pennsylvania has no such sticker.
bite me! :D:D:D

In Illinois we pay a annual registration for our planes and as pilots. It is an extortion fee so that we can have a government employee tell us how great the aeronautics board is and all the great things that they do not do for us. I am expecting it to go up soon with all the other fees that are being raised. Interesting though is that the fee is waived for commercial aircraft.

Why do you guys live in Chicago again?

Further question: Why do you pay it? What are they going to do if you don't?

Why do you guys live in Chicago again?
I don't live in Chicago, no one even mentioned Chicago. This fee has nothing to do with Chicago.

Further question: Why do you pay it? What are they going to do if you don't?
Why do I pay it? Because I try to live a law abiding life and if I get a fine it is cheaper in the long run to pay it and work to revoke it through legal means.

Cash flow is even worse than just at the U of I. We just got our 2009 money that was supposed to be paid last April. Who knows when we will get our 2010 monies. One of the library systems ran out of cash in November and tried to get a line of credit from Harris bank, who they had worked with for over 20 years and were declined. Harris said they are not lending to anyone who is counting on state monies as it is too risky. :yikes:

I am watching our budgets just in case we have to freeze spending. We at least have a good cash on hand situation. Not all government agencies are as well positioned. This is affecting the whole state.

Still waiting for ours as well.

We had to bail out a nursing home for "underpriveleged" senior citizens that was funded by the government - we had to float them 4 months worth of expenses. It is criminal what the state is doing.

Still waiting for ours as well.

We had to bail out a nursing home for "underpriveleged" senior citizens that was funded by the government - we had to float them 4 months worth of expenses. It is criminal what the state is doing.
I was in the governor's office in late summer asking him personally for a check for our library. I also met with the minority leader on finance and the majority leader in the senate. It is really a big mess that took decades to get this way. There may be finger pointing in public but I can tell you that in the halls of the capital there is actually a lot of cooperation and sharing of responsibility for this mess. I could go into details but that would be way off topic and send this into the SZ.

I was in the governor's office in late summer asking him personally for a check for our library. I also met with the minority leader on finance and the majority leader in the senate. It is really a big mess that took decades to get this way. There may be finger pointing in public but I can tell you that in the halls of the capital there is actually a lot of cooperation and sharing of responsibility for this mess. I could go into details but that would be way off topic and send this into the SZ.

Scott,

If you don't mind, would you please open a thread in SZ on this? I've seen IL popping up more in news headlines as "troubled." It's always easy to point fingers from the outside, so I'd be interested in hearing about some cooperation.

Thanks.

Shhhhh.... this may be one of the few revenue generating idea's that our dear Gov. Rendell hasn't thought of!!

Gary

If he imposes it, I will promptly not pay it. Definitely not paying an annual registration fee for something that is already registered through the FAA (who doesn't charge an annual registration fee).

Actually, my aircraft is registered as Deleware owned, so that would be interesting to enforce anyway.

If he imposes it, I will promptly not pay it. Definitely not paying an annual registration fee for something that is already registered through the FAA (who doesn't charge an annual registration fee).

Actually, my aircraft is registered as Deleware owned, so that would be interesting to enforce anyway.

Careful, they will come up with an annual "use" taxfor you guy's slipping around the system.
You know probably the overall cost in the yearly registration fee/sticker doesn't cover the cost of the department that runs/enforces it.
Here in Mich. it's a penny a pound, they have you figure it on gross weight.

It does'nt matter where it is registered, what counts is where it lives that counts. If it is based in PA, you're liable.

It does'nt matter where it is registered, what counts is where it lives that counts. If it is based in PA, you're liable.

True, but Michigan at least, just searches the FAA database. If I did the DE thing, it would never pop up. I also never put my stickers on.

I eventually got my registration and sticker. I even got in installed on the aircraft! But on Friday I recevied a letter from IDOT Div. of Aeronautics stating that I had note registered my aircraft and needed to do so right away.

I just finished writing them a letter with copies of my registration, a photo of the sticker and my canceled check.

Any other Illinois aircraft owners get this '2nd notice'?

Maybe this is Illinois' way of raising cash, bill us twice and hope we don't notice!

Reminds me of the time I got a speeding ticket in Iowa. I paid the ticket via US Mail with a check weeks before it was due. I had the canceled check back BEFORE it was due. I didn't worry about it.

One day I received a letter from the State of Minnesota informing me my license has been suspended for failure to pay an Iowa speeding ticket. I called the county in Iowa and they told me it was their mistake, they received payment, but did not properly notify Minnesota. They sent me a letter and said I'd have to take it up with Minnesota DMV.

I headed into the primary Minnesota DMV office with my documentation. They told me too bad, they won't remove the suspension from my license unless a Judge orders them to do so. They said my only option was to pay the fine and live with the suspension. I went through a few layers of supervisors and was told the same thing every time.

I didn't think it was worth fighting it with a lawyer. Paid the fine and ate the suspension.

Yes... this has all been a mistake on the part of the state. I am posting from my phone or I would also include a copy of the e mail I got last week, but the take home message is that everyone who paid their fee before 1/1/2010 may have gotten another notice in error. I have my sticker too and am not going to stress about this any more, but did save the extra notice I got in case I need to contact them again about this. Ugggh..... :(

Reminds me of the time I got a speeding ticket in Iowa. I paid the ticket via US Mail with a check weeks before it was due. I had the canceled check back BEFORE it was due. I didn't worry about it.

One day I received a letter from the State of Minnesota informing me my license has been suspended for failure to pay an Iowa speeding ticket. I called the county in Iowa and they told me it was their mistake, they received payment, but did not properly notify Minnesota. They sent me a letter and said I'd have to take it up with Minnesota DMV.

I headed into the primary Minnesota DMV office with my documentation. They told me too bad, they won't remove the suspension from my license unless a Judge orders them to do so. They said my only option was to pay the fine and live with the suspension. I went through a few layers of supervisors and was told the same thing every time.

I didn't think it was worth fighting it with a lawyer. Paid the fine and ate the suspension.

That's when you call the local TV station, and let them do all the dirty work for you.

Yes... this has all been a mistake on the part of the state. I am posting from my phone or I would also include a copy of the e mail I got last week, but the take home message is that everyone who paid their fee before 1/1/2010 may have gotten another notice in error. I have my sticker too and am not going to stress about this any more, but did save the extra notice I got in case I need to contact them again about this. Ugggh..... :(
Well it is good to know I was not the only one. Did you notify the state they messed up?

Oh an welcome to the board Lynn!

I've met this woman and she's none too bright. However, I'm the fool for having paid twice. Sigh.

Attachments

• ILDotTax.pdf
    192.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

In Illinois we pay a annual registration for our planes and as pilots. It is an extortion fee so that we can have a government employee tell us how great the aeronautics board is and all the great things that they do not do for us. I am expecting it to go up soon with all the other fees that are being raised. Interesting though is that the fee is waived for commercial aircraft.

MMm Scott there may be an idea in that statement. not sure how much the registration is but Once the new Commercial Pilot Rules go through it may be cheaper to get your commercial than pay the registration. "sure Mr. Gov. my warrior is a commercial plane see I got my commercial cert right here:D

I've met this woman and she's none too bright. However, I'm the fool for having paid twice. Sigh.

Yes, that is the exact same reply I got in e-mail form when I sent an inquiry to Springfield as to why I had received a Second Notice. I got a prompt reply and that was a "Whew!" since everyone knows how difficult dealing with a large bureaucracy can be. Especially a guvmint one! :mad2:

So, cautiously optimistic about this being taken care of.... I HOPE!! My airplane is coming out of annual this week and I am taking a photo of the sticker with the number clearly visible in case I need to send it to them as evidence of having paid. Blah.... what a PITA. :mad: But, I guess nothing like paying that bill for my annual! :mad:

And thanks, Scott! This Forum rocks... lots of great people here so far. I'm from the POS (Piper Owner Society) Forum originally where we haven't always had that. But, it is getting better.... there have been some changes and I think both the contributors and the content have improved for the better! :) I am hooked on the live chat room and want one BAD for the POS Forum.

Last edited:
Mine came vary late. My pilot card came even later - it didn't show up until March.

Just like commercial aircraft don't pay fuel taxes in the state of Washington. Just us private operators. Heck of a deal for the commercial folks.

I got my letter in today's mail telling me to ignore the previous request.

SIGH!

What a bunch of doofs!

At a time when we as a state are hurting for money they just waste more.

Back