Illegible endorsement

Impy02

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Ever since my CFI checkride I've operated under the knowledge that all endorsements must be legible and contain specific wording...the BFR must say 'satisfactorily completed' 61.56...must be signed, dated, with exp. date of CFI # and that must be legible...in other words, the only portion of the BFR endorsement that can be illegible is the signature...

Since many logbooks already have the pre-printed format, this is easy. For those hand-written entries, this would still be expected...

Question: if the endorsement wording isn't legible, is it still valid? I say no but others disagree.

Your thoughts?

From FAA AC 61-65E:

The following examples are recommended sample endorsements for use by authorized instructors when endorsing logbooks for airmen applying for a knowledge or practical test, or when certifying accomplishment of requirements for pilot operating privileges. Each endorsement must be legible and include the instructor’s signature, date of signature, certificated flight instructor (CFI) or certificated ground instructor (CGI) certificate number, and certificate expiration date, if applicable. The purpose for this advisory circular is to provide guidance and to encourage standardization among instructors.

Is your CFI also an MD? Could a pharmacist make out what's scribbled in the endorsement? Legibility in some cases is in the eye of the beholder, but you're the customer--if you can't read it, have him re-write it, or better yet, write it (or get a label) for him.

Legible or noncomprehendable? Endorsements don't have to be verbatim from the AC. It is a good idea and easier but not required. Maybe it is a magical endorsement that means whatever you need it to...

Like some of those ATC calls at 60G90, some people understand them instantly and others are completely baffled.

If you know what something is supposed to say, then you can read it.

Just because you can't read it doesn't necessarily mean I can't

If it were to become a point of contention it's going to depend on the degree of illegibility. If it's an endorsement is there a legible certificate number or N-Number or anything else that could result in the issue getting sorted out. If it's something really important on which your commercial qualifications could hang then it would be wise to get it sorted out prior to any contention arising but we should keep in mind that we are talking about something being hard to read, not fraud or deceit. The endorsement was legitimate and there was never any intention to make it something it wasn't.

The endorsement was legitimate and there was never any intention to make it something it wasn't.
And I would argue, sir, that it was exactly that intention that makes it illegible, since the very word "legible" is spelled out specifically in the regulations. Your argument is tantamount to saying that the pilot who runs out of gas never had the intention.

j/k :wink2:

Back