iLevil vs Clarity, anyone seen or have them?

passinos

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Passinos
I am on the fence to buy the iLevil which is now shipping or to wait 2 weeks and get the Clarity.
Anyone have anyfeedback to the performance of the AHRS part of either?

May have to go to Sun & Fun to inspect in person.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

I am on the fence to buy the iLevil which is now shipping or to wait 2 weeks and get the Clarity.
Anyone have anyfeedback to the performance of the AHRS part of either?

May have to go to Sun & Fun to inspect in person.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Works great with WingX so far. I haven't gotten FlyQEFB or Xavion to work with it.

Which unit do you have?
I didnt know FlyQEFB had support for AHRS or ADS-B yet.

I have the iLevil (combo waas, ads-b, AHRS ).
FlyQEFB (the version i have anyway) has support for levil devices but doesn't work with this new device yet.
For ads-b I don't know...but if it can paint moving clouds then I don't see why it couldn't.

Last edited:
Wow, you must be one of the first to own one. How is the build quality?
Download a free trial of Wingx and you will be able to see ADB-B weather and Synthetic Vision.
Whatever you can share would be helpful.

Did you consider the Clarity?

Thanks

I received my iLevil last Tuesday. :). The build quality seemed to be pretty good and it seemed to work well with the Synth Vision in WingX. Unfortunately there was no warning on the Levil website or in the instructions not to use the Levil AHRS Utility app with the iLevil. After playing with the iLevil in WingX, I fired up the Levil AHRS Utility and managed to turn my iLevil into a brick. :mad2: The utility screwed up something in the settings and it would not show up in my WiFi list after that. :confused: I called Levil on Wednesday and they were going to overnight another iLevil to me. I did not receive it today as expected and had to go out of town to work. I hope my replacement iLevil will be there by the time I get back home on Monday.

I did compare the iLevil to the Sagetech Clarity. Sagetech has upped the price and delayed availability so many times on the Clarity that I went ahead and ordered the iLevil. I like the idea of having the solar cells in the iLevil to help keep it charged. Hopefully I'll actually be able to make some flights with the iLevil and WingX next week. I'll make some screen captures and post a PIREP for everyone.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there are any new reports on the iLevil. Does that solar panel actually prove a benefit?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what benefit the solar cell has fully given that it takes 3 hours to charge the battery alone from a home plug. Probably take much more than 3 hours but you can do the math.
Works great so far.

I made my first flight with the iLevil and WingX last Thursday. The AHRS worked great. I was also picking up two ADS-B towers, but the weather was good and I was in a low traffic area so I can't really comment about the ADS-B functions other than I had no problem picking up a good signal from two towers. I did notice some minor problems with the GPS and made screen captures. I sent an e-mail to Levil Aviation and WingX at 10 pm Thursday night. By 10:30 I had received a reply from Hilton at WingX and the next morning at 9:30 a reply from Levil. Levil made some improvements to their iLevil firmware and sent me an updated iLevil that I received yesterday. WingX will have a new release coming out soon that will have some improved iLevil capability. Between the new WingX revision and the updated iLevil firmware, it looks like this is going to be a pretty awesome hardware/app combination. An iPad glass panel! The customer service I have received from both organizations has been awesome.

Last edited:
I made my first flight with the iLevil and WingX last Thursday. The AHRS worked great. I was also picking up two ADS-B towers, but the weather was good and I was in a low traffic area so I can't really comment about the ADS-B functions other than I had no problem picking up a good signal from two towers. I did notice some minor problems with the GPS and made screen captures. I sent an e-mail to Levil Aviation and WingX at 10 pm Thursday night. By 10:30 I had received a reply from Hilton at WingX and the next morning at 9:30 a reply from Levil. Levil made some improvements to their iLevil firmware and sent me an updated iLevil that I received yesterday. WingX will have a new release coming out soon that will have some improved iLevil capability. Between the new WingX revision and the updated iLevil firmware, it looks like this is going to be a pretty awesome hardware/app combination. An iPad glass panel! The customer service I have received from both organizations has been awesome.

Thanks for the report!

Did the iLevil folks indicate if the user would be able to update the firmware in the future?

Yes you can update the firmware youself if you have the needed drivers for your operating system and you also need Tera Term software. Levil can provide both. I tried to update the firmware on my iLevil but it got up to 15.9% and hung there. After that my laptop would not recognize the device. Levil just sent me another iLevil with the latest firmware and a return UPS label in the box to send back the one I tried to update. Their customer service is great. Very friendly people and no hassles.

Someone asked about the solar cells on the iLevil. The battery is suppose to last for three hours with no sunlight. The solar cells extend the battery life in flight for 30 minutes. Full recharge time on USB is approximately 4 hours. Full recharge on solar is about 43 hours. You can also plug it up to a USB charger in the lighter/accessory port in your plane if the battery runs down and you don't mind dealing with the wire. I fly to work on Thursdays and back home on Monday. The flights are about an hour. The solar cells should be able to keep the iLevil charged between those flights considering I'm not fully draining the battery on my flight and I have three days between flights.

Last edited:
I made my flight home from work today with the iLevil containing the latest firmware. I am happy to report that the GPS issues seemed to be worked out by the new firmware. I did not experience any drop outs like before. This flight was a VERY positive experience. I am already loving the iLevil with WingX combination. :D

Back