IFR

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I am new to PoA and a recent PPL.Now on to
IFR training. I did the gleim books for sport and ppl. Now I am considering jeppesen for IFR.
Can you give me your thoughts about advantages disadvantages of Jep or Gleim.
Thank you.

IFR training. I did the gleim books for sport and ppl. Now I am considering jeppesen for IFR.
Thank you.

They're different. Jepp was good as a textbook, and the Gleim CD was great for test prep. Of course, I also bought Sportys, and borrowed the Kingshool videos.

Welcome to POA!

First, it's important that you use training materials that fit with your instructor's training plan, do that's the first person to ask. In addition, you want to use training materials which fit with your learning style. Those could be books, videos, interactive computer systems, etc. Without knowing more about how you learn best, or how your instructor operates, I can't even begin to make a recommendation for you.

Frankly, I don't think any of the Jepp instructional materials are all that good. There are better stuff out there. Gleim's books and software are perhaps the best in the drill-and-kill for the test prep.

First, welcome!

What Ron said is correct. But, I've found that Jepp puts out the most comprehensive textbooks. When I need to go refresh something years later, the Jepp book is where I go.

Regardless of which Instrument Weather Text/Syllabus you use, I strongly recommend Lester's "Aviation Weather" text. Understanding weather is really critical to operating with an instrument rating, and it's a subject I always found tough. This text does a very thorough job and I found it made the concepts easier to understand.

all your points are well received and appreciated.
The book on weather will be on my list now.
My CFII mentioned she uses Jeppesen. I just moved here, that is why i have a new instructor. My CFI in Florida was not a CFII anyway.

If your instructor uses Jepp, you'll probably get your best training by going with that unless you have a big personal problem with it.

Thank you.

You use them in conjunction with each other, one for content and one for test. It's a good pair, you'll do fine. There is nothing in your training or career that will ever limit your sources of information.

Last edited:
Back